Turkey Necks

Guest trevdog

Guest trevdog

How long does it normally take for turkey bones to pass through? Reiley got a cooked turkey neck and wing out of a bowl on the counter, apparently she reaches farther back than I thought she could! They were in soup which of course she only took the good stuff, but dropped it on the floor and Dallas may have joined in the feast. I loaded them both up with bread afterwards. The neck wasn't one of the bigger ones, but the wing fairly good sized. I'm quite worried particularly if Dallas got any of it with her tummy issues to begin with. They were cooked 2x but still quite hard.

Ossie has gotten one out of the trash before, but he's a lot bigger than the girls so I wasn't as worried though he's gotten the bread treatment too.

Thoughts? 24 hours or so enough time? Note to self, really got to make sure the counters have absolutely no unattended food on them anymore. I guess 36" high counters all the way at the back are still within range for her. Stupid me....

Guest mcsheltie

24 hours should be plenty of time. Don't get too scared tho. I have read about dogs here on the forum that have eaten whole turkey carcasses out of thrash on Thanksgiving and plenty of dogs that got into cooked chicken bones and were okay. Their stomach acid is strong.

Guest FullMetalFrank

The raw ones go thru my kids in less than 24 hours (probably closer to 15-16 hours from what I can tell.) I hope everything comes out OK; just keep an eye out for the usual signs of distress.

Guest trevdog

Well so far so good, a few small fragments came out this morning but nothing tonight....just Reilly, it doesn't seem like Dallas got any. She seems perfectly fine tonight too.

Now to keep her off the counters, it's been awhile since I had to deal with a cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sc1911cwp

I give these to my guys to help clean their teeth and give them some solid protein. Stomach acid is strong and these should pass in about a day. BTW, I do check the stools. I use a plastic bag and feel for the cartiledge. Gross, I know but I walk the guys anyway and pick up after them. Wish all dogowners did this on pubic areas.

We've found nearly intact neck vertebrae from raw turkey necks; they seem to be able to pass them without injury. Feed bread just to make sure; depending upon how much bulk you put into them (i.e., bread or other fiber), 12-36 hours.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)