Happy Tail Amputation Timeline

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Our foster Pete has a bad case of happy tail. After splattering blood all over everywhere (we're *still* finding it!) he went to see Dr C just before Thanksgiving. She decided it was infected, cleaned it, wrapped it and sent us home with clavamox and more bandage stuff. She did warn Hubby that if it didn't heal, amputation would be the next step.

It's not healing. It still stinks, but mostly like wet oozy bandage, I think-not so much like rotten tail. But it is still oozy, with not much a of a scab. We've tried wrapping it every way anyone has ever suggested--and a few that were invented on the spot--to help it dry out and still keep it protected, but the bottom line is, it's not healing.

He goes back to see her next week, and I'll be the one to take him in this time. My questions is, for those who have dealt with this before, at what point does 'not healing' become 'time to amputate'? How long do we keep trying to get it to heal before it's obvious that it's not going to?

Obviously these are things I'll ask Dr C next week, but we just changed his bandage again and it got me to wondering. Unless there's significant improvement between now and next Wednesday, I have a feeling that's the direction we're headed in.

Guest Willerton

I had my dog's tail amputated after he tried to recover from a tail injury, and recovery from amputation was 100 times easier than trying to get his tail to heal. He does not miss his tail at all.

I would amputate right away if there are signs of infection, if he's in a lot of pain which can't be relieved by pain meds, or if the tail is dying (you can tell it is dying because it will start oozing a blackish/brownish blood and will be cold and stiff). Otherwise, I might give it a little more time. But while tail amputation is not a minor surgery, it made my dog feel more like himself again after trying to recover from his first surgery for over a month. In his case, I wish I had done it sooner.

Guest Whistle

It took about three months for Stopper's tail to totally heal with me rinsing several minutes in warm water, letting the tail air dry, and changing the dressing every day.

Poor Pete.

My Indy's tail got clipped in the door about four inches from the tip -- at the vet's office!! (my fault :crying ). Tail wasn't broken but the vessels were crushed such that the blood flow was compromised. We attempted to save it - Indy was on antibiotics and I took him to the vet for frequent dressing changes. But after about 10 - 12 days (??), the tail/tissue was turning dark and necrotic. Had to be amputated. Indy now sports a sexy half-tail. :heart

Personally, I wouldn't fool around with this - especially if it smells bad and/or is turning dark. By the way, I used Glad Press'n Seal to cover and help keep Indy's dressings dry. What a lifesaver.

Hugs to Pete and you.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv