Can I Give Her Gatorade?

Guest kodywyoming

Guest kodywyoming

A few weeks ago my roommate's Boston Terrier got some sort of virus sicky and was having Big D all over the place. She went into the vet and got meds, but now Zoey seems to have it. :( I've been up every hour for the last two nights letting her outside. (Luckily she has only messed her kennel once, and it was my fault for ignoring her whining to go out.)

I'm going to try to get her into the vet tomorrow for whatever they gave the BT that cleared her up quickly. Per advice I saw on the forum on other people's topics (at 4am as I was starting to get worried!), I am fasting Zoey today and will be feeding a bland rice diet for a few days.

I am also trying to encourage her to drink lots of water. She's getting really lethargic and, as a grey who naturally maintains a skinnier weight (she barely put on anything from her kennel weight), she already seems a little thinner to me. I know when I was little and had Big D/puking, my mom would always give me gatorade, to encourage me to drink more fluids and to replace electrolytes. Would it be ok to mix a bit of gatorade into Zoey's water dish to encourage her to drink more?

Also if anyone has any other advice for my poor baby. She was acting fine last night (besides the endless potty breaks), but this afternoon I can definitely tell she's not feeling well. Poor baby!!

here is a recipe for homemade Pedialite that might help

4 cups boiled water

1 cup apple juice

2 TBS sugar

1/4 tsp salt

That should work as well (if not better) than Gatorade.

Another trick I used to get a dog to drink was to toss just a small handful of kibble into the water bowl. The dog drank most of the water trying to get at the dozen or so small pieces of kibble.

Good luck!

You could also add some chicken broth to the water -- Beth really lapped that up like crazy during the day I was fasting her when she had D during the summer. I figure that gives them some salt, and some protein/fat rather than sugar. I used the low-sodium variety, as it still has plenty.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

I always recommend Gatorade or any other sport's drink, mixed 50% product, to 50% water. This mixture actually helps the sports drink get to the cells faster.

They seem to love the orange, or mine do, anyway! Good Luck!

Guest jfroggirl76

Have you tried either Pepto the pill version or Imodium? In a pinch I have used both. If you have any Flagyl generic name

Metronidazole that normally stops the big D in 3 doses.

I always recommend Gatorade or any other sport's drink, mixed 50% product, to 50% water. This mixture actually helps the sports drink get to the cells faster.

Misty's favorite was Fierce Melon. :)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Misty's favorite was Fierce Melon. :)

Wow! Fierce Melon! I HAVE to try that one! Mine are run-of-the mill ... orange :-))

Guest FullMetalFrank

For short bouts of D we have used Imodium sucessfully; with my pups one dose usually takes care of things. Of course for something more persistent, you'll need to go to the vet. Also diluted gatorade or pedialyte can help with hydration.