Post Amputation Recovery

Guest angel

My greyhound, Dash, is one month post amputation (right front leg) for osteosarcoma and has completed one course of chemo. He has done extremely well as far as mobility on 3 legs, and has not had any problems with chemo.

My concern is that his right hind leg seems to bother him. I can tell he is favouring it, most noticeable when he is running. He hops a bit on it occasionally and turns it out a bit. The vet said that this is common after amputation, and that he is adjusting to the extra weight on his hind legs, and that it will get better.

Has anyone had problems with this? Should I be concerned? I can't help but be paranoid after all that has happened in the last little while. Quite a shock. He just turned seven years old today.

Thank you.

First of all, hi, and welcome to GT. And I'm sorry you had to join the board for this.

Our seven year old girl Cosmo had her right front amputated June 23. She adjusted very quickly to having three legs. She went home the day after surgery and was going up and down the staircase in a week. I really didn't notice anything in her gait until, unfortunately, the cancer started to spread. She has a tumor on her right hip, although fortunately xrays revealed it has not invaded the bone. I hope this is not the case for Dash, but you haven't had any xrays done, I would recommend them. Additionally, I would suggest you start him on glucosamine if you have not done so already. Hopefully the vet is correct and it's just Dash adjusting, but xrays would be worth it to at least put your mind at ease. Good luck and please keep us posted.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've had 2 front leg amps (both from osteosarcoma). I've noticed the gait does change. I see a little hitch or hop in the back legs too. When moving less than a full run, the back legs splay outward more than when they had 4 legs. Especially when standing. As part of the splay the rear legs are rotated outward a bit. I hope that description made sense. Let me know if it didn't.

Yes MKA! You describe exactly what I am seeing in Dash! His right rear leg is rotated outward and looks different when he is running.

It is reassuring that someone else has had issues with this in their dogs.

He is going back this week for his second chemo, so I will voice my concerns again. My worst fears are what Tracey has experienced with Cosmo, and that it might be something more sinister.

We will have had him for three years in October, not long enough for this sweet, well behaved, gentle soul of a dog.

Thank you for your replies, and I will keep you posted.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
He is going back this week for his second chemo, so I will voice my concerns again. My worst fears are what Tracey has experienced with Cosmo, and that it might be something more sinister.

What you're feeling is totally normal and everyone goes through it. A pain here or a limp there and your mind immediately thinks "the cancer is back". It's unusual for osteosarcoma to go to another bone. And being a tripod is putting a strain on muscles learning the new gait.

Demon is getting his 4th and last chemo today along with a chest x-ray. I'll hold my breath waiting for the x-ray results.