Adams Flea And Tick Mist * Plus I G R * Safe Or No?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

I need to know if this product is safe for greys or not. I live in the middle of nowhere and this is the only thing I can find that I a think might be safe? Wanted to double check....

editing to add: IGR stands for Insect Growth Regulator

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne
I do not use the one with IGR. I use the regular Adams Flea and Tick Mist. Do you need me to send you a website to buy it on?

The thing is I want to get the flea product TODAY. That is why I am hoping it would work. As Henry was standing in the yard peeing, I saw THREE fleas crawling around on him! I am so anxious to get him treated NOW.

Guest Energy11
I do not use the one with IGR. I use the regular Adams Flea and Tick Mist. Do you need me to send you a website to buy it on?

The thing is I want to get the flea product TODAY. That is why I am hoping it would work. As Henry was standing in the yard peeing, I saw THREE fleas crawling around on him! I am so anxious to get him treated NOW.

I honestly don't know anything about the Plus IGR, so I wouldn't use it. I KNOW for a fact the regular Adams is safe. Do you have a Walmart nearby? They carry the regular. Some vets do, too. Wish I lived closer! I have three bottles here. Keep me posted! Dee

What about Capstar and Frontline?

There's probably no difference between F&T Mist with and without IGR, except for the IGR. Read the label.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NickelCreeksMom

I used the Adams with IGR on the boys and sprayed their beds with it and none of them had any reaction

I made sure to cover their faces with a towel, just to be 100% sure nothing got in their eye or got inhaled

I will say that I saw a rapid decrease in fleas once I started using this vs another brand flea spray

Guest EmilyAnne

OMG it is hard to get a straight answer for vets! My own vet, kept insisting only on Frontline or Advantage. But I know Adamd Flea And Tick Mist without IGR is definately safe, and she didnt even know if that was safe. So then I called another grey savvy vet, and she kept saying that I should never buy the product from a farm supply store, and that I should only buy it from a vet. (my vet is 1 hour from here unfortunately) I didnt want a 10 minute lecture about who can guarantee products and such, I just wanted to know if IGR is safe for greyhounds. :riphair I am not liking living in such a rural community!

I am leaning towards getting it, but need more reassurance that it is ok...

Guest Energy11

TRUST me, the vets want to make the $$$$ on their products. I am a retired paramedic, and worked for my vets in Florida for four years. HE carried the Adams, and this is where I learned about it. I have used it now for two years on my greys, without ANY side effects or problems. They were just misted today. :-)) I am VERY anal about my greys, and would NEVER, EVER use anything on them I did not know was totally safe. Heck, I even have GH safe bee and insect sprays here.

I used to use Frontline Plus, and it did not work. I can still get it at a discount from my former vet/employer, but choose to use Adams instead. I even brought the bottle, and presented this product at our first aid lecture at Mt. Hounds.

Hopefully, you can find it locally, and, as I said, Walmart does carry the stuff without IGR.

PM me if you need anymore info. Hugs! Dee

I used the Adams with IGR on the boys and sprayed their beds with it and none of them had any reaction

I made sure to cover their faces with a towel, just to be 100% sure nothing got in their eye or got inhaled

I will say that I saw a rapid decrease in fleas once I started using this vs another brand flea spray

Interesting and good to hear. As posted earlier, I use the regular Adams, and mist them all over with it. I then spray it on my hands and rub around their head and ears. I even rub it inside their ears, as that is where I have found the few ticks, I have found this summer. Hopefully, once we all have the first frost, it will be bye bye fleas!

What about Capstar and Frontline?

There's probably no difference between F&T Mist with and without IGR, except for the IGR. Read the label.

With bad flea infestations, Capstar would be a very good idea! I think you can get it online without a prescription ... not sure. It would be a good combination with Adams or any other flea product, for sure.

Guest EmilyAnne

UGH! Just spent the ast few hours grooming Mabel the kitty and Riley my other dog. Mabel the kitty has fleas worse than anybody, and even has the flea dirt. She is going to have to be the one I target the most. Riley and Henry only have mild cases. I shaved Riley's belly, his bum and his legs, and armpit areas, and I mega mega brushed him. Came across one flea on him. Still need to bathe him. All this brushing is being done outside on the porch. My kid's Dad is coming at 3:30 to pick up the kids. ( :sad1 ) and then I will bathe Riley, and then spray him down. Henry was very easy to treat as he has very little hair. :thumbs-up

Btw, I want to add, fleas can persist through winter if they have a nice warm body to live off of. I will be treating this beyond frost.

Guest Energy11
UGH! Just spent the ast few hours grooming Mabel the kitty and Riley my other dog. Mabel the kitty has fleas worse than anybody, and even has the flea dirt. She is going to have to be the one I target the most. Riley and Henry only have mild cases. I shaved Riley's belly, his bum and his legs, and armpit areas, and I mega mega brushed him. Came across one flea on him. Still need to bathe him. All this brushing is being done outside on the porch. My kid's Dad is coming at 3:30 to pick up the kids. ( :sad1 ) and then I will bathe Riley, and then spray him down. Henry was very easy to treat as he has very little hair. :thumbs-up

Btw, I want to add, fleas can persist through winter if they have a nice warm body to live off of. I will be treating this beyond frost.

YIKES! Go away, fleas! You ARE right about fleas persisting through the frost with a warm body, but at least, they will be killed outside. Good luck de-fleaing everyone!

You need to spray the yard.

You need to spray the yard.

i second this.

You can buy the capstar product online. When Maddie had fleas I bathed her in in Dawn dishwashing detergent (as I was told by someone to try this as it works), sprayed the backyard, washed her beds, my linens, and put down a spray or powder (adams) on the carpet and vacuumed like there was no tomorrow. The capstar is supposed to work within a 1/2 hour after you feed the pill to the dog or cat. You will need to buy the product for the dog and also for the cat as they make it for each animal. Dose them 1 once a day for three day and then every other days til the box of 6 is gone is what I was told.

I also tried 1 month Advantage on Maddie however, she had a reaction so we had to go back to the Frontline+ but I am happy to say that after a vacation on Nantucket where the neighbor's dog had fleas she DID KNOT get fleas again (THANK DOG) - I was very agressive in the preventantive care and did not allow her to visit the neighbor and I dosed her again with the capstar.

My vet stated that fleas have been bad on the east coast this year. They are a pain to get rid of. I feel the trouble that you are going through as it is not fun. Good luck.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]