Nekkid Butts!

Guest RWM

Guest TheDoggfather

I'll never understand this fascination with trying to "regrow" the hair on a dog's thighs. People... it's hereditary/genetic. Just as it is in people, there's nothing you can do about it.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Lexy has all her hair... and Gunny is very "spotty" with the hair.

I have no problem with a bare hiney... bare is beautiful!!!!

(and when you see my husband, make sure he knows I was in the bald is beautiful column!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :P;)

:thumbs-up

Guest Meirowitz

"People... it's hereditary/genetic."

Well, I agree that some of it is genetic, but some of it is obviously caused by life in a crate. I think something can be done about the spottiness. Looks like some folks have had success with fish oil derivatives.

"(and when you see my husband, make sure he knows I was in the bald is beautiful column!!"

I will do that, Holly! :P Snowy sends kisses! :colgate

but some of it is obviously caused by life in a crate.

Nope. You'll see nice bald butts on shorthaired sighthounds who aren't crated, and fuzzy butts on those who are.

Leading scientific theory is that baldbuttedness has to do with cortisol levels, which are likely to drop as dog becomes less fit and more couch-potatoish. Hence, many, though not all, hounds will regrow some butt hair with time. My own tend to be fuzzier in winter and more naked in summer.

As long as the skin is healthy and not irritated, just not a big deal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Meirowitz

Batmom, yet, some folks who have posted here claim they've had success with certain products, such as fish oil derivatives. How do you explain that?

Guest BiancasMom

I agree some of it is genetic too. I wonder if it is more that these Greyhounds need more supplementation because the genetic problem is more that they cannot get enough essential fatty acids from their food. I know a few people who have AKC Greyhounds and they have NO baldness or thinning. Everyone who sees us in the pet store always says "poor dog" because they think bianca's baldness is due to her living in a crate at the track. I think i have had her long enough for that not to be the only reason. People in the veterinary field always ask me if I've tested her thyroid. Of course I have, and of course it is normal. Silly folks! I personally don't mind the baldness and hardly notice it.

Batmom, yet, some folks who have posted here claim they've had success with certain products, such as fish oil derivatives. How do you explain that?

Reduction in cortisol levels + time. In other words, time.

Fish oil etc. will in many cases make the skin less flaky and the coat less dry, but it has no properties to grow hair. Start taking it yourself and see if you get any hairier after a couple months.

My one dog who has gotten fish oil has had no more of a tendency to grow or keep butt hair than the ones who haven't. Possibly even somewhat less.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Meirowitz

"Start taking it yourself and see if you get any hairier after a couple months."

:unsure Well, thankfully, I don't have any bald spots, and I certainly don't need any more hair on my butt! :rolleyes:

:rofl

Not a big deal one way or the next, is it? My vet always gets a big kick out of Joseph's naked heiny because he can give the vet techs anatomy lessons.

Guest RocketDog

I use DocsBlend Hair of the Dog with my two, and while I have seen some regrowth it's still not a miraculous fix-it product. But hey, the coat they do have is velvety-plush and super soft!

Guest KennelMom

What Batmom and Coach said.

We dont' have any totally bare butts, but if we did it wouldn't bother me. Most are fully furred, though a few have some patchiness that seems to be seasonal.

Bald butts = less hair to shed = less hair to get on your clothes or in your vaccuum. There's your silver lining if you dont' care for bald butts but have a bald butted hound :lol

Guest Meirowitz

This Docs Blend Hair of the Dog looks like a pretty decent product, regardless of whether it actually grows hair. Its rich in the fatty acids, Omega 3 and Omega 6, and stresses a balance between those two Omegas. Here's a link:

Docs Blend Hair Of The Dog

Might be worth a shot. Even if it doesn't grow hair, it seems to be a good product for your dog's coat.