Fibrolieomyoma/mike?

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

Well now I actually have the facts. I had posted the other day about my friend wanting to adopt a grey that had needed surgery to remove a vaginal mass that was interfering with her urination. My friend got the medical record regarding the surgery and it states that the dog had a benign neoplasm called Fibroleiomyoma. She was told that it is unlikely to reoccur, wondering if that is true? Thanks again

anne

Guest greytexplorer

Sounds like a fibroid tumor of sorts that is hard and can grow on any organ or muscle.

Apparently the tumor has grown in/on the walls of the vagina and is pressing on the bladder or urethra?

If you are interested and not skweemish, you can see what one of these might look like (presented here in the human esophagus, but I imagine that the tumor would look similar, no matter where in the body it is found)>

check it out

If I were the owner, I'd have it removed, and not expect to recur. It's a chance you have to take.....

Good luck to your friend and the pup!!!

Pat

Excellent article from the Veterinary Surgical Oncology website: Clicky here first (warning: surgical diagrams at bottom of page)

A good link to a veterinary text describing reproductive tumors: Clicky

If this were my pup, I'd be looking for a surgical oncologist (or at the least, a board-certified veterinary surgeon experienced in managing diseases of the reproductive and urologic system). This can be very intricate surgery, and if you want to maintain normal urinary function and continence, you need a surgeon who knows her/his way around the pelvic floor.

Best wishes to your friend and her pup!

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest brit1

Sorry apparently I did not explain fully (as usual LOL) the tumor HAS been removed and she wants to know if its likely to happen again.