Attention Central Ohio Members

Guest budsmom

I believe he was sick already when GPA-WI got him from the track (Dairyland in Kenosha). He had been sick for a while before they even got him. I'm not sure about that side of the state, but on my side (by the Mississippi) we have terrible Lyme disease and several different mosquito borne diseases, even a special strain of encephalitis named for La Crosse.

Did he get sick in WI or at the track (I can't remember), maybe it doesn't matter as the track is in WI too, right?

Does OSU know that several greys in WI have had fungal infections?

I have passed this on to OSU via email.

I believe he was sick already when GPA-WI got him from the track (Dairyland in Kenosha). He had been sick for a while before they even got him. I'm not sure about that side of the state, but on my side (by the Mississippi) we have terrible Lyme disease and several different mosquito borne diseases, even a special strain of encephalitis named for La Crosse.

I have also passed this on. Thanks for your input. I don't know how much they know about his history and the illnesses that are prevalent in Wisconsin.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Did he get sick in WI or at the track (I can't remember), maybe it doesn't matter as the track is in WI too, right?

I have also passed this on. Thanks for your input. I don't know how much they know about his history and the illnesses that are prevalent in Wisconsin.

Jane

Dr. Couto just confimed that they have already tested for all of these diseases. The mystery continues......

Guest Lillysmom

Jane

Dr. Couto just confimed that they have already tested for all of these diseases. The mystery continues......

Yep, Tattoo has been tested, tested again, and retested for every stinkin' kind of TBD there is. As far as I have been told, he actually was injured at the track and ended up getting a bacterial E. coli infection. After that cleared up and his health continued to go downhill, he was diagnosed with endocarditis. Unfortunately, he just will not give anyone a clue as to what his "bugs" are. He's been through so much. I pray constantly that they will find out what is going on with this sweet guy. :hope

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates on Tattoo?

OSU just got the results from the PCR test today. The test was negative, meaning that it didn't find any "bugs" that would be causing an infection.

There is still a remote possibility that there is a bacterium that doesn't show up on the biopsy, cultures, or PCR.

Dr. Couto originally felt that the problem stemmed from an infectious agent or from an autoimmune mediated disease. From the biopsy of Tattoo's heart, he was concerned that the endocardium was too "bad" for it to be an autoimmune disease. However, since all the tests have not turned up anything infectious, he wants to try suppressing his immune system to see if things get better. Of course, there is a risk that if it is an unknown bacterium causing it, suppressing the immune system would be the wrong thing to do.

Unfortunately, Dr. Couto is out of the country until July 10. The plan is to keep Tattoo on his current treatment until Dr. C returns. Then, on July 13, Tattoo will be going back to the OSU Vet Hospital for a few days to start corticostearoid therapy.

So there will be no further news until after the 13th.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom