Bite-not-collar Owners -

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie went in this morning for a dental and removal of two "things" on her legs (could be tumors - we're hoping they're nothing worrisome). She's going to have stitches and will need a collar for a couple days to keep her from bothering them. A friend lent me her Bite-Not Collar, which I actually had recommended to her.

She has a french mastiff, tho, which of course is huge in proportion to Trixie (at least neck-wise - he's actually shorter than Trix). This collar she lent me is an 8" version. If I remember from reading the Bite-Not site, the collars come in different sizes, but I don't remember it the size variations are around the circumference or the shoulder to ear.

Is anyone able to look at yours and tell me what size it is? Will this 8" one work for Trix or should I be looking for a more suitable size?

Never used one so I can't really help but looking at the Bite Not collar site they seem to go off dogs weight so a greyhound would need a 6" or 7" for under or over the 70lb weight mark. Seems a funny way to work it out though thinking of the differing neck length and width of various breeds.

Sue from England

I have a 6" which I've used for Misty. I'm not really sure that weight makes a difference and helps to size them, but if it does, Misty was 58lbs when she needed the collar.

But I have also used the 6" for Wayne after surgery and he was 73lbs at the time

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne

An alternative would be to use a long sleeve sweatshirt or tee shirt, turned inside out to keep all seams and lint away from incisions. Make sure the shirt is changed asap if it gets dirty. You can cut the bottom half of the shirt off if you think she'd prefer that.

Guest boondog

We have the 6". I believe the difference is in the shoulder-to-ear length. EmilyAnne's suggestion is good, too.

ETA: I've also heard of people using a rolled up towel and duct tape :P

Edited by boondog

Guest TippyTy

The size corresponds to the measurement from ear to shoulder. We have a 6" one which fits our 50# girl just fine (she's our accident prone pup). I would definitely need the 7" for my 75# brindle boy (he's got the long, lean build). My black boy is also 75# but he's got a thicker build with a shorter neck so he can just get away with the 6".

I would think that the 8" collar would be awful big on an average size grey. But can't hurt to try it on! If Trixie can't hold her head at the normal angle or if it's pushing up over her ears-- it's too big. :)