Fire Ant Bites?

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

Anyone have experience with this? With the dogs, of course. I think Laika has been bitten. We thought she was just licking compulsively but then we saw little red bumps. :( Speaking from experience, fire ant bites are NO FUN. She's been wearing a shirt so she can't irritate them by licking. Is there anything else we can do? Can I put cortisone cream on her or would that be too hard on her delicate skin?

Poor girl.

You can give her Benadryl. I found that helped me when I was bitten.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Dosage? I gave her 2 tablespoons last night and she was a zombie. She's about 65 lbs (my god, how did my puppy get to be 65 pounds!??!).

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I give my Greyhounds 8 benedryl tablets a day - 4 in the morning and 4 at night for the itchies. My vet said taht was the correct dosage for them. Benedryl does not affect dogs like it does humans in that it doesn't make them sleepy which is a bummer because I was hoping it would just to help them sleep better! :lol

Guest Energy11

Give Benedryl, (2) 25 mg, ASAP, and you can repeat every four hours.

If she displays FACIAL SWELLING, be aware of her breathing. Oakly got bitten last year, and his face looked like a Great Dane! His lips were swollen, etc... This CAN progress to the respiratory tract/his breathing!

If you see signs of severe swelling, difficulty breathing, diarrhea and vomiting, SEE THE VET! This CAN be indicative of a SEVERE allergic reaction.

Just give the Benedryl as above, and monitor the dog. I have "been there, done that," with both Oakly and Staggerlee.

Keep us posted! Dee

Guest MAXNAV

Dang those stinking fire ants!!! When I got multiple bites when living in TX, Benedryl worked the best. Definitely watch for the reaction signs like Energy11 says. My poor dad started going into shock from an allergic reaction to several fire ant bites. After that he had to keep Benedryl on him at all times.

Guest Energy11
Dang those stinking fire ants!!! When I got multiple bites when living in TX, Benedryl worked the best. Definitely watch for the reaction signs like Energy11 says. My poor dad started going into shock from an allergic reaction to several fire ant bites. After that he had to keep Benedryl on him at all times.

Benedryl, or it's generic, IS truly, a LIFESAVER, and is used in EMS allergic reaction protocol all the time ... the generic is CHEAP too! :)) Good idea to have it in your first aid kit for dogs and humans, for sure. Glove box in your car isn't a bad idea, as well :-0