Do We Need A Stitch?

Guest BooandCalisMom

Guest BooandCalisMom

Boo Radley got a small cut/year near the base of his tail while on his afternoon walk.

The cut/tear is about the diameter of a pencil eraser (not big at all) but looks like its down to the muscle. We flushed it with water, put antibiotic ointment on it, and wrapped it. Because its so close to the base of his tail, Radley can't get at it with his mouth.

Hubby thinks we he may need a stitch to help close it up but I am in favor of waiting and watching. Just wanted to see if anyone thinks it may need a vet to look at it or if we're okay to wait and see how it heals. Thoughts/advice?

Edited by BooandCalisMom

Guest KennelMom

You are probably fine w/o a stitch. Just to give you an idea of what can heal w/o stitches...this did just fine (there wasn't enough skin to stitch it back together)

3475640669_16903b50b0.jpg

Slightly bigger than a pencil eraser and it did just fine. just watch for infection, but I doubt it'll be a problem.

Guest Energy11
You are probably fine w/o a stitch. Just to give you an idea of what can heal w/o stitches...this did just fine (there wasn't enough skin to stitch it back together)

Slightly bigger than a pencil eraser and it did just fine. just watch for infection, but I doubt it'll be a problem.

If you are going to MT. Hounds, could you bring that photo?? I healed one bigger than that on Staggerlee w/o stitches! Would be a Greyt illustration! May I use it if you aren't coming?? thanks! D

Yes, you are probably fine w/out a stitch... keep the antibiotic ointment on it.. I prefer Trypzyme-V... can get online, cause it heals as it works. keep the tail clean and covered. YOU MIGHT want to get some Keflex from your vet, if he/she will give it to you without seeing you dog.. .

Keep us posted! Funny, cause I was just about to do the "tail" portion of my first aid course for Mt. Hounds! :-)

Hugs and good luck! DEE

Guest Energy11
I'm not going to mt. hounds, but you are free to use the picture. It's our girl Scout. She actually popped a couple more staples after that but I didn't take pics. Here's a link to the orginal (huge) pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26386534@N00/...640669/sizes/o/

Thanks, cause I have a photo of My Staggerlee, with one larger than yours ... healed fine with daily dressing changes and Keflex, twice a day for a ten days! I will,most likely, use this photo for my seminar! Thanks a bunch! DEE

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Sure sounds like your fine to go without stitches.

It's also in a good location where you boy can't lick it.

Just keep it clean and dry and should heal in no time :)

I'm not going to mt. hounds, but you are free to use the picture. It's our girl Scout. She actually popped a couple more staples after that but I didn't take pics. Here's a link to the orginal (huge) pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26386534@N00/...640669/sizes/o/

Heather do you have a photo of what her side looks like now?

So others can see how well it healed even without being sutured up? I think that would be good to show the before and the after :)

Guest BooandCalisMom

WOAHHHHHHHH - Okay that would have set my neurotic husband over the edge. Thanks for sharing...we will keep the cut clean and dry and see how it goes:)

Guest KennelMom

Sorry to post such a graphic picture! I wasn't sure I believed the vet when he told me it'd heal...it took a few months but it finally did. (Heather/GreysandMore... I don't have a pic of her side that I can find, but I def need to get one so I can post a before and after).

I posted that pic b/c it really taught me a lot about what does and does not need stitches. Don't get me wrong, I would def want a wound THAT big stitched if possible, but the minor dings and cuts and scrapes around here don't go in for stitches. Why put the dog through it if you don't have to. Just watch for infection.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest LindsaySF

I agree, just watch for infection. Make sure the wrap is not too tight and be careful that the ointment and/or licking does not keep the wound too moist. Dry is actually better because bacteria have a harder time growing then. Good luck!

Coco had a tail laceration- somehow he got it caught on a piece of an old car sitting in someone's driveway. It was probably 3/4" in length, and you could see the tendons in the tail.

No antibiotics, no stitches- it closed on its own in about 2 days, and now you can't even see where it was- although he DID lick all the fur off the area while it was healing.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)