What Size Toddler Socks?

Rainy sliced her pad today. :( I've heard that toddler socks work well, but what size do I buy? Isn't there T2, T3, and T4? Also if her pad is just sliced not filleted open can I just Triple antibiotic it and stick a toddler sock on it for indoors? Or should I keep it vetwraped? I would think it would heal faster if it was allowed to breath...

------

Jessica

Guest trevdog

I think I would just do a light vet wrap with some cotton on it and maybe leave it off at bedtime? In my exp, the socks haven't stayed on too well. Actaully I prefer to leave it open unless she's really messing with it or it keeps opening.

Guest FireHorse

I have the 4T, I think. I just roll them down, put them over the toes, and then roll them up the leg. Wrap a strip of tape above the ankle so it'll stay in place.

I wouldn't bother with the vetwrap. With my crew, that's just asking for it to be fussed with, but they'll leave socks alone, and it can breathe well enough with the sock-it mostly just keeps dirt out. You can tape a sandwich bag or a newspaper bag over the sock when she goes out.

Guest BigPercyInMa

I use any socks, just use some sort of med. tape around it.

It depends on the cut, Morgan had a bad one recently, we took her to the vet and she's had it vet-wrapped (and re-wrapped of course) ever since.

Sandwich bags don't work for us, we use plastic shopping bags. You can wrap the handles around the leg and tie.

Guest SusanP

I get the tiniest baby socks I can find. Not sure of the size. They are sooooooo handy! I usually tape the sock to the ankle at the cuff. Then I vet-wrap over them. They are washable and reusable, and they pop on in a flash.

Thanks everyone! Her slice actually looks a ton better today. I guess being downed in triple antibiotic and rested all night helped. She just has some goo, gauze and a sock on right now. I'll go get the teeniest toddler sock that I can buy at Wally world today. I will have to try with some grocery bags... of course it's raining outside! I ordered some waterproof sled dog boots but they have to come int he mail.

------

Jessica

Guest Energy11

I have toddler socks and booties in my first aid kit.

Got ours at Dollar General, and they are for shoe size 3-8.5. I tape them on,, after applying triple antibiotic oinment, or specially ordered stuff, but not TOO tight, as to cut of circulation to the foot, and put the bootie over that.

If you don't have booties, you can use two socks.

This type of thing happens a lot! Good Luck! D

I think I would just do a light vet wrap with some cotton on it and maybe leave it off at bedtime? In my exp, the socks haven't stayed on too well. Actually I prefer to leave it open unless she's really messing with it or it keeps opening.

I'm so worried about infection! :blush I'm not little "Miss Suzy Homemaker" :lol It just boosts our immune systems, right? Maybe I'll mop the kitchen floor today.... Maybe I'll try to leave it off while she's in her crate during the day. Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah I've heard about it lots on GH forums, so I'm not too panicked. :lol I may have to use 6 socks if this rain doesn't let up. Thanks for the tip!

------

Jessica

If you thread/weave some tape in and out of the sock top about half an inch down and leave long ends, you can tie the sock on above the dogs wrist or ankle joint which saves messing with sticky tape, stays on really well (does for me anyway) and can be washed and re-used over the years as needed. Seems like a pain to bother maybe, but I find it much easier than putting tape on and pulling off again and doesn't bother the dog at all either..

Sue from England

Guest Energy11
I think I would just do a light vet wrap with some cotton on it and maybe leave it off at bedtime? In my exp, the socks haven't stayed on too well. Actually I prefer to leave it open unless she's really messing with it or it keeps opening.

I'm so worried about infection! :blush I'm not little "Miss Suzy Homemaker" :lol It just boosts our immune systems, right? Maybe I'll mop the kitchen floor today.... Maybe I'll try to leave it off while she's in her crate during the day. Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah I've heard about it lots on GH forums, so I'm not too panicked. :lol I may have to use 6 socks if this rain doesn't let up. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, doubling socks is a good thing. RE: infection ... yes, I'd be concerned. I would call you vet tomorrow, and see if he/she will prescribe some Keflex for you grey. I keep Keflex, Amoxicillin and Cipro on hand at all times, here. .... Good Luck! D

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I use newborn socks and the next size up. I vet wrap the top of the socks so they don't slide down and leave the slice open. I change the socks when they get wet. I have a zillion of them as I had to do this with Spencer for a few months.

If you thread/weave some tape in and out of the sock top about half an inch down and leave long ends, you can tie the sock on above the dogs wrist or ankle joint which saves messing with sticky tape, stays on really well (does for me anyway) and can be washed and re-used over the years as needed. Seems like a pain to bother maybe, but I find it much easier than putting tape on and pulling off again and doesn't bother the dog at all either..

I wish I was that handy! LOL I'm a duct tape gal :lol

------

Jessica

How fast do these pads usually heal? I was going to try and call the vet today to get some antibiotics, but honestly.. it looks awesome! The pad appears to already be bonded back together. Just looks like a little ravine across her pad. Not oozy or irritated looking. No excess heat or swelling. Seems too quick, am I crazy? Her pad has been slathered with triple antibiotic ointment for 2 1/2 days and had her paw free and breathing for 4 hours today. She seems to not be favoring it, but I don't want to push it. I thought it was going to be a longer healing process when I first saw her slice!

I was also informed today that I have been putting on her plastic baggy on wrong for walks. :rolleyes: I had just been twisting it around and duct taping the top. DH informed me that Miss Rainy prefers 2 strips of tape. One on the bottom and one at the top. It prevents the bag from ballooning out at the bottom, which embarrasses Miss Rainy even more than necessary. :lol Pretty good from a man that freaks out at booboos! He's never one to really help with the first aid, but he's a really good/fast 1st aid kit fetcher! Well have him doing triage soon!

------

Jessica