Callay Is Back At The Vet's Again

Guest knitkass

Guest knitkass

Callay's fever has started to come down, which is good. She's also starting to eat if we hand-feed her. She'll eat about 1/3 of a can then think she's done, but if we put the food in her mouth (gentle force-feeding) she'll eat it.

The vet is thinking that what we'll do if her fever doesn't completely normalize by the time she's done with her current round of antibiotics is a round of amikacin. If that doesn't work then we've treated for every bacteria possible, and we'll try immunosuppression.

I did email Dr Coutro, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Has anyone had experience with their grey and amikacin? This is the one I mentioned before where she'll be on constant monitoring at the hospital to make sure they aren't killing her kidney.

Thanks

Guest knitkass

Quick update: Her fever was only 102 this morning! And it's usually higher in the morning when she hasn't had a drink or something to eat, so this is good!

We also came across a food called "whole meal" or something like that. It's essentially a dog bone that's a complete meal. She liked the one we gave her, and it gives her the ability to eat as she likes during the day. Hopefully she'll get onto regular food soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest knitkass

So Callay has been spoiled rotten, and apparently will eat cooked food just fine, but no more canned food or kibble for her! That's okay by me though. Her temperature is down to 101.5, which by my reckoning is normal. If it stays like this, I think we'll be golden! We find out the results of the second bartonella titer Monday or Tuesday. It will be good to get a solid ID on this bug!

Any suggestions for food to make that will continue to be appealing to her? She's still eating the "whole meal" bones, one every couple of days, and Daddy has been crock-pot cooking chicken with some seasoning and oil, and she's been eating that with little encoragement.

I need her fooding to be complete, so what else should I add?

Edited by knitkass

That's wonderful that she's feeling better. :yay I'm a raw feeder so I can't help too much with a home-cooked diet, but I love this site: Dogaware. There is a lot of info there no matter what type of diet you want to feed. Everything from raw to commercial, including partial raw/home-cooked/commercial. If you're cooking for her & not feeding a commercially prepared diet or adding raw meaty bones, you need a source of calcium. That's the most crucial with the vitamins & nutrients of organ meat right behind.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest knitkass

ooh, what a great site. Bookmarked!

With all the antibiotics she's still on, I'm really not that worried about her getting anything from the raw food, so I guess I can start adding raw meaty bones as a supplement. What's a good thing to start with? I've given her raw chicken, and she had a chicken neck once that she seemed to like really well. It looks like I can give her some sardines which would have the added benefit of some omega-3 fatty acids that will help with protecting her heart now that it has to work harder because of the murmur.

I've given her raw chicken, and she had a chicken neck once that she seemed to like really well. It looks like I can give her some sardines which would have the added benefit of some omega-3 fatty acids that will help with protecting her heart now that it has to work harder because of the murmur.

Chicken necks are great & turkey necks are very beloved in my house. Some have luck finding them in their supermakets or ethnic supermarkets. If you can't find them locally, search for raw feeding groups in your area on yahoo groups. Chicken leg quarters are great also & usually reasonably priced. Sardines are wonderful as is canned jack mackeral or salmon.

If you search dogaware for heart conditions, there will be suggestions for her heart. I believe the supplement l-carnitine is great for the heart as are omega-3 fatty acid capsules. I get mine from Puritan Pride - they're always running specials. NAYY

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis