Not Eating Well...but Eating Grass ?!?!

Guest SLM4956

Guest SLM4956

Hey everyone! I know that everyone has more knowledge than me about Greys :blink: I am still learning! Poor Marigot!!

She has been walking away from her bowl and I have to coax her to eat!?!? Not normal behavior for our girl!! Also, she goes outside and just wants to eat grass!!! I think she is a cow here lately!! :eek She is still pooing and peeing.

This is our 1st "Summer"...I am not sure what happened to Spring here!?!?!!? We turned on the air and I only take her out for walks when it is cooler.

Should I just wing it!?!?! Is this just a change of Seasons kind of thing??

Thanks as always for your comments!! We don't have any Greyhound Parents around us to seek out for advice. You guys and gals are the best!!

Guest SLM4956
Could be a mulitude of things, but I'd steer her away from eating the grass.

Yeah! I have been doing that...it is Nasty on the way out!!! :blush

Could just be the heat affecting her appetite or making her feel a bit out of sorts.. Many dogs love to eat grass though....sometimes when their tummies are out of sorts when it can make them sick or settle them down again, but quite often just because they enjoy the new fresh shoots. I let mine eat a certain amount if they want to as long as I know it has not been sprayed with anything.

Sue from England

as above.

if her tummy is upset, fasting for a day (water only) followed by some boiled rice and fish or chicken until she feels better might help.

blue and millie both have increased their grass intake over the last few weeks, but are eating and pooing normally (except for the dingleberries, i carry some tissues for when they need assistance with those)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest StriderDog

My dogs turn into cows when the fresh grass comes up and the warm weather makes them less eager to dive into their food bowls - it could just be your pup's reaction to the summer!

Keep a close eye on her just in case!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest carolbeckerrizzo

When greyhounds are not feeling well they will eat grass to make themselves vomit. Sometimes this is accompanied by a loudly gurgling stomach. After dealing with this situation many times with my own greys and countless fosters, I have found that the best remedy is PeptoBismol liquid. The dose is 2 tablespoons and you need to administer it with either a large syringe (needle-less, of course!) or a bulb type dropper that you can get at any drug store. Measure the liquid into a small cup then suck it up into the dropper. You'll need a towel to hold under the dog's chin and there is definitely an art to doing this. Best to have the dog either standing up or at least have it's head up. No matter what you do, you're going to have a few dribbles. You can give this as often as necessary. Vets give this to dogs that are vomiting following anesthesia. Be aware, that a day or two after this treatment, the dog's stool will be dark (besides being full of grass!) from the Pepto.

Best wishes to all,

carolB

Mokkah was not a big eater when I first got him, and it took ages for me to get weight on him---now no one can get between him and his food, although there are some times where he leaves the chicken necks behind. He does have a much more sensitive tummy than Hailey, and grazes on grass like a goat.

I do notice that both my greys tend to eat less when it's hot. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as she's not dropping weight.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

I'll let Sam eat some grass if I know he's about to get his dinner. (His appetite is fine; he just likes grass.) If he eats grass on an empty stomach, he's bound to vomit it back up. If he gets food at about the same time, the grass stays down.

My first dog's appetite slacked off when the weather got warmer. She sometimes went for two or three days with just a little bit of nibbling at her kibble. My current two don't slack off their food bowls for anything: each is so afraid that the other will eat all the food that they eagerly gulp down anything in their bowls, including honkin'-huge glucosamine tablets.

So slacking off her food and/or grazing on grass aren't bad in themselves, but you don't want to see either condition go on for very long.

Is your girl still interested in her treats? If so, that's a good sign.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)