Owie On The Rear Flank....

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

A quick question....

Riley has a chunk (?) of skin that seems to have separated from him. It is on his left rear hip. We did not notice anything as he was/is not bleeding, doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and it was only when DW came home that she noticed it. :blink

Any ways, after we ate dinner...we noticed that it looked more sore...all of a sudden he is licking it and it seems to be more sore, more red, and he is limping a little... any ideas how to stop him from licking at the wound?

Thanks,

:unsure

K

Wash the wound out thoroughly with saline, then put antibiotic ointment on it, and then muzzle the licker, with a bit of tape over the end of the muzzle to prevent him licking through the front holes. Wash and repeat once or twice daily until the wound has a good solid scab on it. You will likely have to keep him muzzled 24/7 until the wound is mostly healed to prevent him licking it open and making you start from scratch. At least that's how it goes in my experience. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Tip and Dazzle both quickly learned they were not getting satisfaction from licking the inside of the taped muzzle, and stopped trying immediately. Didn't do them any harm, except the tragic why-me eyes. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Wpgkeith

Thanks.... cleaned and polysporined....Haven't yet put his muzzle on, but so far he hasn't been paying much attention to it. If that changes, I'll whip his muzzle on.

:thumbs-up for the help.

K