To Fast Or Not To Fast?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Timber has had a tough couple of weeks.

She's been on Carafate to protect her stomach (a week or so ago, vomited some blood, tarry stools), Pepcid, Tramadol and for a week was on Flagyl. (We've been off the Flagyl now for several days.) We fed her rice and boiled chicken, chicken/turkey baby food, and the vet gave us some canned Hill's Prescription Diet (c/d) food to help get her appetite up which it sure has.

We thought she was coming along and her poop was getting back to somewhat-normal consistency.

Then last night she had 3 bouts of diarrhea and lots of gas. This morning, her poop was more like soft-serve, at least not liquid.

My question: should I fast her for 12-24 hours now? What about her meds? Wrap 'em in something like bread (instead of the canned dog food)? Is it okay to give a dog medicine like Tramadol without a full meal?

Thank you!!!

Oh boy, sounds just like what Beau went through for months. Tarry stool and all.

After months of different foods, fasting, meds, x-rays, sonos, thousands on tests and finally open abdominal surgery to finally get a definitive diagnosis of IBD.

What have you done so far? have you tried a precription diet yet with NOTHING else?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyvettech

I would call your vet but if they are not there,... If she isn't vomiting, I don't see the need to fast her. You should feed her Hills I/D which is an intestinal diet-It is gental on her GI tract ...Did she have a fecal or bloodwork? Does she just have a sensitive stomach or did she have HGE?

Guest lynne893

hi again,

she had the bloody vomit/stools presumably because of being on Deramaxx for her limp for several months. Vet thought ulcer.

The limp is really our biggest concern, but it's awfully hard to keep her on her pain meds when her tummy gets upset.

ultimately today, we gave her a tiny amount of regular food with some cottage cheese, and back to rice & boiled chicken for dinner.

ahh, these hounds keep us busy, don't they!