Niles Toe Trouble

Guest siamanti

Guest siamanti

Hello all,

I took Niles to the Vet this afternoon as his limping has become a little worse, again. He did not help himself by running like a nutter this morning when I tried to put him on a different lead and he made a dash for freedom. To add insult to injury, when Niles spotted the Vet he got his other toe caught in the door and suffered a bleeding nail as well, which the vet says will probably fall off. The Vet believes Niles has injured his tendon but does not believe that the toe is broken. He has been put on Metacam for a few days and told to only walk on the lead. Has anyone on this board had some experinece with similar injuries and how long before they heal completely? He originally started limping last Friday but got better until we suffered the setback today.

Positive thoughts and helpful advice most welcome!

Siamanti

Edited by siamanti

Will he be returning to the Vet for a re-check? If he were mine, I would walk him on a lead for at least a month.

Sure hope he heals quickly! Sending positive thoughts for Niles.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

If he's hurt a ligament, yeah, it can take a good 6 weeks to heal :( . You can give the toe some support by wrapping with vetwrap or (don't laugh at me) a condom -- you'd probably want the Magnum XLs (I said, don't laugh at me) for a larger boy. That can also protect a bit against unauthorized dog silliness while it heals.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.