Prayers Needed-something Is Wrong With Sizzle

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

Just got back from the vet. She suspects that it is some sort of back issue. So for now, Sizzle is on house arrest. She loves to run and possibly injured her back. We are going to see how she does for a week and then get another opinion from a vet who is a "greyhound expert". So, it was not a seizure, which is good but still worried about her back! We have not had x-rays yet but will do after we see the other greyhound vet. This vet wanted to give her morphine to do the x-ray and that worried me so I said I would hold off on the x-ray for now.

Question, do you normally give Morphine to a grey before an x-ray? :unsure

Thank you for thinking of Sizzle everyone!

Guest taylorsmom

Oh, I would wonder about the Morphine before the Xray too!! My greyhound Taylor had an awful reaction to morphine when she injured her toe a few years ago--it was called a "dysphoric" reaction and it scared me out of my mind. When I called the e-vet to ask about this terrible reaction, they said they were surprised because they had given her half the sighthound dose, which I guess is less than what other dogs get!! I hope others will chime in here about a better sedative to give for xrays.

Guest IrskasMom

Checking in on Sizzle. I would say ,it's good News. Mine had this kind of bout to ,actually several times , where he

dont want to lay down and just pants. I belief to , it's his back but a Rimadyl settles it and he has not had it in a long

time. About Morphine ,I dont know but I would hold of until you see experienced Vet and ask him. Glad Sizzle is her

old self again. Like to hear what Vet says ??

Guest ss556

Alan gets very anxious at the vet without pain - so I had to give him 10 mgs. valium before the visit (I think 1-2 hrs. before) in order to do some xrays of his legs/spine a year or more ago. I will be doing the same thing soon when I take him for chest/neck xrays. It calmed him enough to allow them to maneuver him around and he was fine with that dosage.

My Brandi has had problems with her back, weak legs since she was three (became paralyzed for 10 days but with meds and pred she began walking again) and she is now eight. My western vet wanted to do a myleogram (sp?) and I did not want to do that. She has been on pred since she was three. The pred/chiro and acupuncture have given her a good quality of life. We see the holistic vet once a month. I would certainly look to a holistic vet. They were never able to diagnose what her problem is. My concern of course is what has the pred done to her. I have a chem panel done every 6 months and everything appears in the normal range (just to make sure the pred is not doing damage). The western vet says it is neurological, the holistic vet says compromised immune system with a fungus/bacteria in the spine. I understand how scary this can be. If you have access to a neurological vet I would also consult. X-rays have revealed nothing. Five years later she can see go for walks, run in the yard but can not stand for very long without her starting to lower her back legs. When I see this happen I just make her move. She has lost so much hair and it will not grow back due to the pred 20 mg. every other day now. Prayers and thoughts go out to you and Sizzle. So glad she looked fine at lunch.

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I hope this was a one time incident. Prayers for Sizzle.

BTW: This thread isn't the first one today to mention the recommendation of morphine for xrays. What's up with that?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest koolaidnconner

Morphine for xrays??? Never heard of that. Conner has had xrays and the doc has had to carry him in there but still with no meds the doc was able to get them done.

Guest LindsaySF

Hopefully it was a one time incident. Did the vet suggest giving any anti-inflammatory meds in case there was an injury?

The morphine before the x-rays seems a little much, unless she is a dog prone to freaking out at being handled, etc. It depends on the dog I suppose. Most Greyhounds just freeze in place for x-rays and no sedative is needed.