I Quicked My Babygirl

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

No, it was not a medical emergency but it sure seemed like it at the moment! Chels hates having her nails done (probably more, now) and I was on the very last one, and sure enough I quicked her good. She let out a full on GSOD and nipped at DF who was petting her while I clipped. Her poor little toe was practically gushing blood; I got the cornstarch and got her paw in, stopped the bleeding after a minute or so, kept her quiet, then dinner, she was fine. But after dinner comes potty time, and she decides to do zoomies in the yard and knocks the scab off so we need to start over. My home is beginning to resemble a minor crime scene by now; but we got her fixed up again and now she's curled up beside me in my bed. She got extra lovin's and some jerky; I just hope next time I go to trim her nils she'll let me. She is scared of the dremel or I'd be using it on her instead of the clippers...

ETA, this might seem like a dumb question, but will she be able to do her normal 2 mile walkie tomorrow or should we hold off for a couple of days?

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest Flysmom

CSI is on the way... :lol

I think I would hold off with the walk, I would be worried it starts to bleed again and dirt gets in the nail. But that is just me - I am always a worry wart...

Oh, I HATE that scream.

It made me sweat.

Then I never wanted to do her nails again.

Fortunately, DH is braver than I.

Now I just hold her leash, talk softly and feed her treats all during the ordeal.

Sorry, I know how you feel.

Do you use the grinder? Or the clipper?

We found the grinder was less destructive.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have to use the clippers on her because she is deathly afraid of the dremel/grinder... For Frank, we use the dremel. Her records show her previous owner always took her to the vet for nail trims, now I think I know why! But, she's just fine now, none the worse for wear and hopefully she will have forgotten it happened by the next time.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Poor thing. I hate doing Harley's nails because they are all black and I can't see the quick. I bought Pedicure though, and now it's a stress free event for us both!

Guest greytfostermom

I had a dog that hated her nails cut and I also think that her quick was always close to the end of the nail because no matter how careful I was, and how little I clipped, she bled. My vet told me to use a callous file (for humans). That did the trick. I could keep them filed down and no blood. And she didn't mind it. You get them in any drug store...I used the kind that the file part was made of metal not the ones made of pumas stone.

Edited by greytfostermom

My friend's dog somehow had his nail ripped at the quick, and it bled off and on for a few days until it was healed over. I would avoid the walk.

Good luck with the healing.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest FullMetalFrank

Well, this morning she did extra yard zoomies and started bleeding a little bit again; so now she has a baby sock on that foot and gets a plastic bag over it for potty breaks. Has been fine since. We'll wait another day or two before we resume walking. She's a little peach, though, doesn't mind the sock or the bag one bit. She is such a sweet little girl! Makes me feel all the more guilty for quicking her :( .

Edited by FullMetalFrank