Zoe - Kidney Issues

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

Our lil' money pit is at it again......

On Saturday night, Zoe started getting stuck in her squating position when she would pee. Before it got to the point of disaster as it did in NOVEMBER we immediately called the vet. They wouldn't just give us meds of course, so we made an appointment and went in yesterday.

After $500 in urinary and blood tests, the good news is her bladder is fine (no tumors) and her urine cultures all came back negative. The bad news is her kidneys are getting bad. :( The doctor said part of it may be age related - she'll be 15 in August and part of it may be the new crap food she's been eating since November (Beneful Prepared Meals). I know, I know.... but it's THE only thing she'll eat. Really. She will go 2 days without touching a single thing and believe me when I say that because we've tried EVERYTHING from dog food to people food.

Her BUN is 6.1 and her creatinine is 2.1 - how bad is that? I didn't get to see her regular vet and this one is very nice but I couldn't really understand him as he's Russian. All I could really hear was "this isn't very good". I'm going to call my sister later today before I go into full panic mode.

We have to take her back in 2-3 weeks for follow up blood work to be sure nothing is getting worse.

And now I have to figure out what to feed her. *oy*

Guest gr8greys

I'm so sorry to hear that!

I can't offer any medical advice but I just want you to know that I'm praying for her.

I'm sure you've tried chicken, beef, rice, cottage cheese?

My thoughts for dear Zoe to be well again.