A Little Cautionary Tale

Guest longdogs

Guest longdogs

Angel will soon be celebrating her 11th birthday in pretty good shape but a few things have happened that give pause for thought. She used to be a brisk walker and we covered lots of ground, now our walks are strolls around the neighborhood and she has been getting tired easily, but she's older now isn't she? Our summer days have been hot. All our greys have slowed in hot weather haven't they? That's probably why she is going off her food a little. And why she's not her previous perky self? Older dogs do get a little stiff with arthritis so it's no surprise she prefers to stick to her bed and sometimes limps a bit. Her breath is a little off too.

Stop the story right here. This is a typical creeping-up of problems in an older dog, none of which seem remarkable but cumulatively knock it right down. When Angel started to leave her food and occasionally carry a hind leg it was time to take things in hand. Yes, she has arthritis in her hips, shoulders and back. Nothing terrible but enough to cause constant low-level pain. She came to us with a really bad mouth and we have had good success in keeping her remaining teeth healthy, but one of them probably got sore because she started to eat unevenly and very quickly got problems. She still tackled her regular bones and was keeping her back teeth clean but her front teeth and gums were dirty and inflamed, hence the bad breath, and that in turn was giving her a low-grade infection. The sore mouth and not feeling good was putting her off her food.

So off to the vet. After a few hundred well-spent dollars her teeth and gums are clean with no additional extractions. Antibiotics took care of her infection and carprophen worked its usual miracle on her sore joints. She's now being kept on a low maintenance dose. She's also a different dog. Her bendy bits all bend, right down to the waggly tail. It's still hot and she's still not volunteering for any route marches but she has her old spring in her step and a new zest for life. Don't let things creep up on you as I did.

Guest PiagetsMom

Not really an old dog story, but definitely one of letting something creep up on me......

Piaget is only 5, had a well-check in September and was given a clean bill of health. For the last month or so, I've noticed that she's been "off" on our walks......really excited to go, but once we're walking, dragging behind and seeming uncomfortable in some way. But, she has corns that we treat, and maybe it's that. A week and a half ago, I noticed she was coughing, sporadically when she was excited or while playing, but definitely something a little out of the ordinary.

After Ember's thread about her cough, and Beth's thread about her hemangioscaroma, I started to get a little more worried. We saw Dr. Gallagher today, and after an exam and a subsequent chest x-ray, I found out that the lining of her lungs was not normal, and she's being treated with 2 weeks of Baytril for what we hope is a respiratory infection. If not, we'll have to do more testing.

You hate to over-react and take them to the vet for every little thing, but my "mom senses" were telling me that something was not right, and I wish I'd listened to them a little sooner. I'm so glad that Angel's feeling better, and I'll hope the same for my girl, Piaget.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Thanks for the information--I agree it is important to listen to that little voice that tells you that a vet visit is in order. Sending good thoughts for both Angel and Piaget.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts to Angel, Piaget, and all the other houndies who are not feeling well!

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

You are so right about following up on the little things that don't quite seem to be as they should. There are so many times I've said "Boy, am I glad I took him or her in to the vet's". It is very easy to think that some behavior is off due to weather, sore muscles, etc. but this is a good reminder that it is best to check to be sure.

Hope Angel and Piaget are feeling better.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I have a similar story with my girl Kona. She was slowing down on walks and was less perky. I attributed it to age. After her kidney disease was found and treated, she acted years younger. I felt terrible she was probably feeling badly for quite a while but I assumed it was just age. She was 11.