Metacam

I have some metacam that was diagnosed for one of my pups when she dislocated her ankle. I haven't used it in over a year - box says its good until Halloween 2009.

I need to give one of my other puppers a dose of it (she wrenched her ankle this afternoon on some ice). My problem? I'm not sure how much to give her to take the edge off her pain. The syringe is long gone but it is my understanding, metacam can be administered by drops. My girl is very tiny - about 45 pounds. Read the last sentance below.... surely this doesn't mean that her correct dosage would be 45 drops?!?!?!?!

Dogs Over 10 Pounds (4.5 kg): Shake well before use, then remove cap. Metacam Oral Suspension may be either mixed with food or placed directly in the mouth. Particular care should be given with regard to the accuracy of dosing. Metacam Oral Suspension can be given using the measuring syringe provided in the package. The syringe fits onto the bottle and has a scale beginning at 5 lbs, designed to deliver the daily maintenance dose (0.05 mg/lb or 0.1 mg/kg). When using the syringe, the dog�s weight should be rounded down to the nearest 5 pound increment. Alternatively, Metacam Oral Suspension can be given using the dropper bottle: one drop for each pound of body weight for the mg/ml concentration (2 drops for each kilogram of body weight).

can anyone help???????

I get 2.25 mg maintenance dose, or for 20.5 kilos that would be about 40 drops. Might be easier if you had a neighbor who has a syringe from their metacam.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest longdogs

The dosage is 0.1mg per kg maintenance, double that for a first dose. 0.1mg is 2 drops, so 2 drops per kg. At about 24.5kg your girl needs 49 for maintenance and double for the initial dose. Another way of calculating if you have a graduated syringe is 1ml (cc) per 15kg or 1.6ml for a 24.4kg dog (3.35ml initial dose).

45 pounds is 20.4 kg, not 24.5kg., so I would go with 40 drops. and no, I don't think 45 drops would be an overdose at all. Hope your pupper settles for the night.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest longdogs
45 pounds is 20.4 kg, not 24.5kg., so I would go with 40 drops. and no, I don't think 45 drops would be an overdose at all. Hope your pupper settles for the night.

Absolutely right. It's been a tough 'morning after'...