Do Dogs Die From Hge?

I just talked to her doctor, she is looking good. Still not interested in food, but that may be stress/the hospital environment as much as anything else. She has had no more diarrhea or vomiting so the doc is going to release her at 4:00 PM PST today as long as nothing changes in the meantime. Last night she was looking better to me though not her normal energetic Penny-self, she did have the gleam in her eye returning so that was a great thing to see.

Thank you for all the good wishes. They worked.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Guest Winterwish

Sending get well wishes out to Penny! :hope:getwell

Having gone thru it also it is scarey isn't it?! And at this time,oh gosh I can only imagine. You did such a great job in getting Penny treated so quickly and soon she'll be back home resting with you.

:dogcookie:cookie

Very glad to hear that she's feeling better.

Yes, dogs can die from HGE if it's not caught and treatment isn't started in time. One of our kennel kids had it and we almost lost him. He was so dehydrated his whole body was cramping and he was screaming :( His gums were white and he was overheating. He couldn't walk - we fashioned a hammock with a blanket in order to get him into the car. Thankfully we got him to the ER and he ended up being okay after having to stay for a few days.

My rule with diarrhea and vomit is, if it's bloody, a vet is at LEAST getting a phone call.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--