Raw Fed Teeth

Guest mandm

The picture posted by AHicks in the Growth in Mouth topic got me curious. I believe AHick's greyhound is rawfed. The picture was of the growth inside the mouth, but I noticed the teeth. They looked like my rawfed greyhound's teeth -- nice, but not pearly white. I don't brush, I figure the bones do that for me. Maybe I should brush. I can't post a picture because I don't have a digital camera. But I am curious what other greyhounds' teeth looks like, and what kind of feeding/hygiene regimen they get.

The picture posted by AHicks in the Growth in Mouth topic got me curious. I believe AHick's greyhound is rawfed. The picture was of the growth inside the mouth, but I noticed the teeth. They looked like my rawfed greyhound's teeth -- nice, but not pearly white. I don't brush, I figure the bones do that for me. Maybe I should brush. I can't post a picture because I don't have a digital camera. But I am curious what other greyhounds' teeth looks like, and what kind of feeding/hygiene regimen they get.

Little note for the folks checking out Coco's most excellent dentition: you will note some inflammation at the gumline. That's now gone since we got him 100% raw fed. Minerva is 100% raw, but hers aren't quite so white and require a bit of a scrub now and again.

As for the color- teeth are naturally slightly yellow. Between bleaching and optical brighteners, the American public has been misled into thinking teeth have to look as white as a Welsh coalminer once the dust has been hosed off.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Roscoe's teeth look disgusting. they're grey due to his mother being on antibiotics while pregnant. I guess the whole litter had grey teeth..

Anyway, because of the way they look, I find it hard to judge how clean they are. He is not raw fed, he eats kibble but it's softened with water/yogurt/pumpkin. He gets greenies and i brush his teeth a couple times a week. He's getting used to it.

i dunno.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

I don't have a picture, but I've been feeding Flint raw dinners since the spring. At his last annual exam the vet said his teeth and gums look great (which she thought was unusual for a greyhound) and I explained about the raw meals I've been feeding. There's some staining on the canines, but no plaque, and his breath is much improved. I thought his teeth would get whiter too but they haven't and my vet said not to worry about staining. I think ahicks is correct about us being misled...

Roscoe's teeth look disgusting. they're grey due to his mother being on antibiotics while pregnant. I guess the whole litter had grey teeth..

I got my greyhound right after he had been vetted and had his dental. His teeth looked clean, but brown! Like they had been tea-stained. A vet remarked that it was probably discoloration due to tetracycline. I didn't think much more about it. He had other significant health problems for me to worry about. I put him on raw because he had trouble digesting any processed food. His health and digestion improved dramatically. I didn't think about his teeth, because he was healthy & alive. But a few months after starting raw, I noticed that the brown stains were all gone! It wasn't A/B discoloration at all, but stains. The dental didn't get them, but the raw bones did.

There's some staining on the canines, but no plaque, and his breath is much improved. I thought his teeth would get whiter too but they haven't and my vet said not to worry about staining. I think ahicks is correct about us being misled...

I think many rawfed dogs have yucky canines, that they don't really use them much when eating raw off a plate. My vet scrapes my greyhound's canines whenever I take him in, which isn't that often since I put him on raw. I have heard that scraping isn't good for the teeth, that it abrades them. But I figure the vet knows what she is doing and they always look beautiful after they have been scraped.