Tacrolimus: Drops Or Ointment?

Apparently the tacrolimus drops are bugging Buddy. Buddy's eye/tacrolimus drops I had a call in to the ophthalmologist about it, and after TWO DAYS ( :angryfire ) they finally called me back.

They want me to try him on tacrolimus OINTMENT. Explained how it could be the "vehicle" that the medication is in, not the actual medication, that is irritating him.

Is this going to work? Have any of you had the ointment work, when the drops didn't? I questioned the girl, since the drops were $50, and the ointment will be similarly priced....I really don't want to end up with $100 worth of meds that are useless....

Not to mention the fact that the doctor "thinks" he "may" have pannus....I actually suggested that maybe Dr. K should consult with Dr. B.....don't know. It also irritated me that I called them Wednesday MORNING, and they were supposed to call me yesterday, and never did. I had to call back today in order to talk to someone. Not impressed.

Any ideas?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest greytmonty
Apparently the tacrolimus drops are bugging Buddy. Buddy's eye/tacrolimus drops I had a call in to the ophthalmologist about it, and after TWO DAYS ( :angryfire ) they finally called me back.

They want me to try him on tacrolimus OINTMENT. Explained how it could be the "vehicle" that the medication is in, not the actual medication, that is irritating him.

Is this going to work? Have any of you had the ointment work, when the drops didn't? I questioned the girl, since the drops were $50, and the ointment will be similarly priced....I really don't want to end up with $100 worth of meds that are useless....

Not to mention the fact that the doctor "thinks" he "may" have pannus....I actually suggested that maybe Dr. K should consult with Dr. B.....don't know. It also irritated me that I called them Wednesday MORNING, and they were supposed to call me yesterday, and never did. I had to call back today in order to talk to someone. Not impressed.

Any ideas?

For Monty the ointment was just as bad as the drops, and both are A FORTUNE!!!!!!!!

As you know we had to go with Pred.

Guest MnMDogs

We tried the ointment, and it really wasn't any better. The tube that I got from the pharmacy had a very wide top so it was also hard to control getting in.

I have a pretty full tube if you want to try it - we're back on the drops. Let me know, and I can send it to you.

Edited to ask if he's seen an ophthalmologist? Nevermind, it says right up there that he is :)

Edited by MnMDogs

I'm sorry I have no experience, but just wanted to tell you not to ever apologize about questions!!! That's what we're here for. All I can offer is a lot of prayers for Buddy and a resolution, I think he's been through enough!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Well. Here is the latest. I talked to the vet tech again, and expressed my concerns about the same medication in a different form. She said we could try Optimmune, which is generally well tolerated but not as strong. It is an ointment. She also said that it would be OK to make the follow up appointment with Dr. B. instead.

So, I got the Optimmune. It was "only" $43, as opposed to the $49 that the tacrolimus drops were (and the ointment would've been about the same). So I saved some money. :rolleyes: I also changed Bud's follow up appointment to be with Dr. B.

After I did all that, I come back here and read that some of you didn't have any more success with tacro ointment, than with the drops, and I feel so much better about NOT getting the tacro ointment!!

Oh, and one more question. :blush Is it common for pannus to affect only one eye??

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest greytmonty
Well. Here is the latest. I talked to the vet tech again, and expressed my concerns about the same medication in a different form. She said we could try Optimmune, which is generally well tolerated but not as strong. It is an ointment. She also said that it would be OK to make the follow up appointment with Dr. B. instead.

So, I got the Optimmune. It was "only" $43, as opposed to the $49 that the tacrolimus drops were (and the ointment would've been about the same). So I saved some money. :rolleyes: I also changed Bud's follow up appointment to be with Dr. B.

After I did all that, I come back here and read that some of you didn't have any more success with tacro ointment, than with the drops, and I feel so much better about NOT getting the tacro ointment!!

Oh, and one more question. :blush Is it common for pannus to affect only one eye??

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Monty also couldn't tolerate optimmune. However the opth vet said that was unusual, so I hope you have better luck.

monty has it in both eyes, I think that is the most common presentation.