Licking Open Sore

Guest lilyray

Guest lilyray

The vet stitched up cut on my dogs leg. A few of the stitches have come out. I do not know if it is worth getting restitched or just let it heal. Does his licking keep it from healing? I can put neosporin and wrap on it but will fresh air dry it and heal it faster. It is not infected.

I remember somebody on here once said that if you let the dog lick the wound, it'll heal better than if you try to fool with it yourself. Assuming, of course, that it's not a deep or puncture wound, and not infected.

:dunno

Rhem has an area on the side of his toe that splits open every once in a while that's been sutured at least three times. This time, I decided to see what happens. He's been licking it, and it's healing beautifully. Better than it's ever healed when it's been sutured.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a vet, not a vet tech, never worked in a vet's office, not even ever played one on TV. :D

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Where is the wound and how big is it? If it is a big gaping hole, you may want to consider re-stitching. But if it is just a couple of stitches i would leave it be and let it heal. With that being said, you need to keep your pup away from it. Depending on where it is...you can put a t-shirt on them...or a long-sleeved shirt...or a sock.... Again, not sure where the wound is located. But your pup is likely to work all of the stitches out one by one if he continues to lick at it. I would stop this asap.

I agree that you definitely need to stop him licking the wound otherwise he could make the wound even bigger and it could also become infected. A loose covering over the wound will prevent licking but still allow the air to get to it. If he were mine, I'd let the vet decide whether he needs re-stitching and/or antibiotics.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Don't let him lick. You can put child-sized sweat pants (legs cut short) on him to cover a hind leg, or a stretchy adult medium long sleeved t-shirt (again, arms cut to fit) on to cover a front leg. If the stitches that came out resulted in a real gap in the wound, the vet might want to put a staple in and maybe stystemic antibiotics. I'd check with the vet when in doubt--a phone call is free.

Guest sinaminsmom

Our dog was attacked last month and had fifteen lacerations stritched and stapled. It became a major project to keep her from licking. Someone was with her 24/7 - like having an infant again. We covered with shirts whereever possible. Bought two kinds of collars, neither was a total solution. She did manage to remove two staples in the time it took to take a quick shower. The vet said it had healed enough not to restaple but said 'No more licking' Easy for him to say. Good luck and I hope your houndie feels better, Lynda and Sinamin

Martin wears a duct taped muzzle to keep him from licking a little wound on his foot--the result of 5 weeks of splinting and bandaging his broken toe. My vet said a little licking is OK but not to let him overdo it.

I agree...it's like having an toddler. Whenever the muzzle is off, someone needs to be with him. He is learning "leave it"--wish I'd taught him that command earlier :rolleyes: .