Medical Issues

Guest greyhoundchick

Guest TBSFlame

My greys have all been very healthy dogs until they got old. I have lost 3 but until they passed on they were healthy. I've lost 2 to osteo and 1 to LP. None of the ones I have now have any health issues. They can eat anything and never get sick. I think I will knock on wood ........ watch them all get sick tomorrow. :huh

Bad teeth can sometimes be a breed-related problem. Easy fix is to brush their teeth every day. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Bad teeth are probably the most common (also common in most toy breeds, shelties and a few others... greyhounds don't exactly have the market cornered).

Other things that happen from time to time are hypothyroidism, osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and hemangiosarcoma, though these can happen in lots of breeds... the two cancers are relatively common causes of death in many large-breed dogs.

Pannus (an autoimmune disease of the eye) and pemphigus (autoimmune diseases affecting the nails/claws and sometimes some areas of skin) are very treatable, but do happen in greyhounds but rarely in other breeds.

The diseases of very old age- heart failure, dementia, kidney failure and the like, do happen in our greyhounds. They are often very long lived dogs, especially when compared to others of similar size, and eventually *something* is going to stop working.

Lynn

So many things are genetic that there is nothing you can do. You can give them a good diet, their shots regular dentals, excercise and then just pray!

Osteo- bone cancer

LP-Lumbar Paralysis -

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project