I Need A Quick Answer

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Roo's back pain ...came back and she cant go on the Prednisone again. She the Vet gave her Tramadol

Her first dose was last night. She is to take 50 mg twice a day. She weighs 55 to 60 pounds.

Well her first dose put her to sleep....deep sleep and she ssleep from 8:00 last night and is still sleeping at 5:30 this a.m.

Is this normal? Will she adjust? ...or shouled I cut her dose in half. I can check with the Vet later this a.m.....just trying to give a dose before work.

Any one have any experience on this?

Guest greytbookert
Roo's back pain ...came back and she cant go on the Prednisone again. She the Vet gave her Tramadol

Her first dose was last night. She is to take 50 mg twice a day. She weighs 55 to 60 pounds.

Well her first dose put her to sleep....deep sleep and she ssleep from 8:00 last night and is still sleeping at 5:30 this a.m.

Is this normal? Will she adjust? ...or shouled I cut her dose in half. I can check with the Vet later this a.m.....just trying to give a dose before work.

Any one have any experience on this?

Our Annie is on the same regime of Tramadol and at first, it did kind of make her pretty sleepy but after a few days the effects became much more mild.

I hope that Roo feels better soon!

Guest WarmheartedPups

If 50mg did that I'd be happy :) It's possible it cut the pain enough to let her sleep well (and she hadn't for awhile).

good point ! :rolleyes:

We gave Tramadol to our Bloodhound, up to 150 mg at a time with a valium when she was in a lot of pain. (and this 4 x a day) The sleep was a blessing, the poor baby was in so much pain. I'd let the pill work its magic, sleep is so restorative, and while in pain, they can't sleep too well.

Roo, you're in my prayers

Guest turbospeed

Usually, the Tramadol will seem pretty strong with the first few doses. But after a few days, it doesn't cause such a deep sleep and make your hound quite so tired. Normally, the dosage is about once every 24 hours. We didn't normally give more than that to our hounds. Just wondering what the pain is caused from--if it is joint pain, another fix that works well is Metacam. It is very cost effective, based on your hounds weight, and helps substantially with inflammation problems.

Hope your hound feels better soon.

Turbospeed