Sore Spot

Hi All,

I just got home from work and discovered Roscoe licking his bum. I've noticed him licking this area to excess before, but thought he was cleaning. Well the angle I was at allowed me to see something wasn't right.. so I bent down for a closer look.

There appears to be a small sore just under the base of his tail. I don't know if it appeared because of his licking, or if it was caused by something else. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I was wondering what the best course of action would be to heal it up. Some anti-bacterial ointment?

Thanks!!

008.jpg

009.jpg

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest houndstooth4

My bet is that it's from his licking. I'd take him to the vet, though, and see if his anal glands are impacted. We had one who had to go in to the vet occasionally to have her anal glands expressed. Trust me, it is worth whatever they want to have them do it there. It's a good idea to have it looked at, because it can get infected and possibly rupture, which is very dangerous. The excessive licking back there is the tip off.

Guest heidihvt

Hello! I definitely agree with houndstooth. Being a vet tech we tend to see this as a secondary issue from a primary problem (anal glands). Not always, but it's best to get his rear checked. :)

Great idea about going to the vet's.

While you're there, ask about a spray antibiotic. We use Betagen. You wouldn't even believe how much easier it is to use than ointment. It also seems to cool the area.

Great idea about going to the vet's.

While you're there, ask about a spray antibiotic. We use Betagen. You wouldn't even believe how much easier it is to use than ointment. It also seems to cool the area.

Is the Betagen a prescription med? Thanks. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.