2 Days Post Fentanyl Patch

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

ember's fentanyl patch has been off for 2 days. today is day 7 of her journey. she slept most of the night, but was restless early this morning. she would get up and circle around, then lie back down. no crying or whimpering. she also was trembling a bit. my best guess is the effects of the fentanyl are dissapating and the feeling...or lack thereof is coming back. she did eat a normal breakfast 1 cup of evo large bites and a big spoon of evo canned.

do you think she is now beginning the adjustment, or maybe still has a "phantom leg"...oh how i wish she could tell me. im inclined to believe that she is hurting a bit and her guardian angel said she would give her tramadol this am.

thoughts?..yoo hoo robin :-)

I think without the patch, the real deal is happening, Polli never had a patch so we kept her quiet and on tramdol every 6 hours whether or not shethought she needed it or not, we gave it to her.

Yes, she prob is hurting. Give 2 tramadol every 6 hours for a few more days and be sure to wean her off slowly as it is an opiate and there will be withdrawl of some sort which also be part of what's going on since she is off the patch without having the tramadol on her regularly.

Just my thoughts. I have been through opiate addiction myself.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest WhenIGiveIn

If she seems like she is in a LOT of pain I would give her some pain meds. However for a healing dog its not good for them to feel no pain at all. There is a line between suffereing and knowing that she is injured and needs to take it easy. Feeling no pain will make the times that the pain meds wear off worse because she will try to over do it.

A good friend just had to have a leg amputated on her borzoi due to osteo. After the pain patch they tried the pills and took him off because of mood changes and the fact that he felt to good and was hurting himself.

Lots of good thoughts for you and Ember glad to see things are going well for her so far. Seems like things are on track.

ETA: I posted mid sentance oops lol

Edited by WhenIGiveIn

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey had a patch too for several days after coming home. I kept him on the tramadol for awhile- the last pill he got was 2 weeks to do the day after the surgery when he had his staples taken out. At that point, the vets were like "Oh yeah, he doesn't need any pain meds at all now". I had been weaning him off but no one had told me really when to stop.... Keep in mind that tramadol can cause some funky symptoms- I remember thinking Dempsey was in pain and increasing the pills but the symptoms got worse and then stopped completely once the med stopped. He would have trembling around his mouth that sure looked like pain but apparently wasn't. It also caused restlessness and agitation. Really hard to tell the difference between that and pain. :) Thanks for keeping us updated on Ember- so glad that she is doing well!