Quick Advice Please..

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

For some stupid reason Lark (whippet) just swallowed a piece of a leather collar. I was watching a movie and heard her chewing but paid no attention- I assumed it was a bone. Then she started trying to throw up and looking distressed and I realized she had gnawed off and swallowed a piece of it. I could see a teeny tiny bit of it in the back of her throat but couldn't grab it, and now that little piece is gone. I tried holding her back legs up and I half heartedly tried the heimlic.

She is in her bed right now- she's quietly resting and doesn't seem in distress, but every now and then ( every 20 minutes or so) she tries to hawk it up. I can't see anything in her mouth, or feel anything. She drank some water and I took her to the yard and she peed- so she's not in immediate danger- but....

what do I do now??? Should I take her to the E-vet? To my regular vet in the morning?

I'm terribly worried :(

If she is trying to vomit..I'd take her to the E-vet pronto, or at least call and ask them what they think you should do. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Guest karma98104

Well she seems to be ok now- she's sleeping in her bed- so PHEW. I guess I'll just watch for any other odd signs and hope the leather finds it's way out the other end :(

Leather eating is quite common with dogs so she should be ok. Either her body will spit it back up...or it will hopefully make its way through. I would be more worried about the leather if it was chemically treated with something...do you know if it was? Just keep a close eye on her but if she starts to show signs of distress or poisoning....get her to the vet asap. Hope you have a peaceful night and that you find a piece of collar in the yard tomorrow..... :goodluck

You could always induce vomiting with Hydrogen Peroxide but I would be worried about it maybe getting caught in her throat choking her.....