Severe Stomach Cramping

Guest lauri

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok, I have read your post, and I would really like to help. Please understand I am suggesting this only because I want to help. My cat (male 16 yrs old) lost 60% of his weight and 4 vets $3K later the only thing it was narrowed down to was IBD or Intestinal Cancer. Since we did not feel that our little guy could survive exploratory surgery we opted for the IBD treatment which was Prednisilone (not to be confused with Prednisone). Apparently its actually the same treatment for both conditions, but if it is the cancer, the med will stop working after about 6 months. Well we have had our guy on the med for over a year now and he is up to 12 lbs. I know my experience is with a cat, not a dog, but I read that you dont want to put your hound on Prednisone, maybe Prednisilone is not as strong? I dont know, I just thought I would throw it out there. Also, as far as the big D goes, my hound (Bart) had chronic D as well, suprinsingly 1tsp. of Metamucil with 8oz. of water with each meal solved the problem quickly. We now keep him on the Metamucil. I hope for the best for you.

Guest LindsaySF

Have you seen this site?

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/colitis.html

LOTS of great info! It also has links to IBS, IBD, and to lots of the meds (metronidazole, sulfasalazine, etc). It also says that IBD must be confirmed with a biopsy.

And look what I found on the IBD page.

An infection in the stomach with a special bacterium called Helicobacter is associated with inflammatory bowel disease, but we do not know enough to establish which is the “cause” and which is the “effect.” Helicobacter infection can lead to ulceration and inflammation, compounding the problems of the inflammatory bowel disease.

Wasn't Miles also diagnosed with a stomach ulcer?

During the tests they gathered that the bleeding was coming from the stomach, hence the ulcer determination. He no longer has bleeding - just back in April. We've had no exploratory surgery or an endoscopy as of yet, and want to treat first. Our next stop would be to take him to an internist in Santa Barbara whom the vet has recommended.

But I'm also going to have another round of blood-work done if he has an episode again too soon.

He's been on the ground beef/potato since last night, and so far no issues...AND he's not refusing food.

We can't bank on it as this has happened many times already.