Balding Spot Question

Guest Cooter77

Guest Cooter77

Hi there.

I noticed that my grey had some abnormal balding areas appearing the past few weeks, besides the normal spots like his stomach. This balding is taking place right at his hips, where his back leg meets his body. The fur seems to be thinning on both sides and limited to those spots. I was at the Vet the other day to pick up flea/tick meds and she mentioned something about mites? She did a skin scrap to see if there were any mites, but said the test came back negative. I was wondering if anyone knows what this could be. Sometimes he's chews around that area, but very rare. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Guest sheila
This balding is taking place right at his hips, where his back leg meets his body. The fur seems to be thinning on both sides and limited to those spots.

Sometimes he's chews around that area, but very rare. Let me know what you think.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about 'where his back leg meets his body'. Do you mean his butt or thighs?

If he is chewing anywhere near his butt or tail area it could be an issue with anal glands.

Guest Morgaynn

Have you checked the labels on his food and treats? From what I've gathered in some of my research on greys, some of them tend to be allergic to wheat and corn products. Hair loss has been attributed to allergies. Has your brand recently changed forumlas? Just a thought.