Sporadic Limping

Guest MonsterMomma

Guest MonsterMomma

Our 7 year old grey girl, Breanna, has been limping sporadically for a few days. Specifically, she's limping to avoid walking on her right front leg. She did this about a year ago, and the vet checked her out and determined it was a soft tissue injury (sprain) in her wrist. We did not give her painkillers for it, because as soon as it feels better she runs on it and it flares up again.

This time around, she's been limping for a few days. As usual, she runs on it and then complains that it hurts. We've been trying to keep her from running in the yard, and have suspended her walks temporarily. But our goofy girl continues to run as soon as she gets a chance, only to come inside and limp and whine. I massage and stretch her leg and foot for her, and she's fully mobile at all joints with no obvious swelling or clicking. Her nails, toes and pads all look and feel normal.

Any suggestions to help her heal from this flare up?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Where did she race? Just wondering, because my Sadie has occasional flare ups of a limp, and I'm taking her into the vet to test for Valley Fever, a fungal infection very common in the southwest.

If you are trying to keep her from running, you'll need to probably confine her when you're gone and only let her outside on lead, even if you have a fenced yard.

If she's been limping for a few days, I'd take her into the vet. It could be something completely different than the first time.

Since it's been a year since she's been checked, you may want to take her in and have her checked again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MonsterMomma
Where did she race? Just wondering, because my Sadie has occasional flare ups of a limp, and I'm taking her into the vet to test for Valley Fever, a fungal infection very common in the southwest.

If you are trying to keep her from running, you'll need to probably confine her when you're gone and only let her outside on lead, even if you have a fenced yard.

If she's been limping for a few days, I'd take her into the vet. It could be something completely different than the first time.

She raced in Florida, and came off the track directly to PA almost four years ago. She never tested positive for any tick-borne illness (we do this yearly).

We continue to try to keep her quiet, and only let her out in the yard alone so she isn't tempted to run. But you're right...if she is still limping on Monday, she's off to the vet.