Balding Grey

Guest crebner

Guest crebner

hey everyone,

got my greyhound a couple of months ago and he's been doing great! however, ever since I bathed him recently(with all-natural dog shampoo) he has been losing a lot of hair on his thighs and belly and has a pretty bad dandruff problem. I've been giving him fish oil lately and before that gave him a daily dose of flaxseed oil for his coat. would it be a bad idea to bath him again with a dandruff shampoo? I don't want to create more problems. or is he just shedding and it will grow back in the winter months?

thanks a lot!

Guest CircusGreyZoe

Zoe's doing the same thing right now--she's been home a little over 4 months. I just spent about 10 minutes brushing one side of her and got a pile of fur the size of a small rabbit!

I'm guessing that both your new pup and mine are blowing their track coats and growing in their pet coats. Unless she's showing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And I wouldn't shampoo again--that could dry out his skin.

I just today bought a rubber curry (for horses--it has rubber teeth). It works wonders!

Oh, and welcome to GT! We like pictures around here! :)

Guest crebner
Zoe's doing the same thing right now--she's been home a little over 4 months. I just spent about 10 minutes brushing one side of her and got a pile of fur the size of a small rabbit!

I'm guessing that both your new pup and mine are blowing their track coats and growing in their pet coats. Unless she's showing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And I wouldn't shampoo again--that could dry out his skin.

I just today bought a rubber curry (for horses--it has rubber teeth). It works wonders!

Oh, and welcome to GT! We like pictures around here! :)

thanks for the feedback! I'll hold off on the dandruff shampoo.

Dandruff can also be a sign of stress. Did your grey enjoy his bath, or cause him anxiety?

I grey-sat a lovely black boy who was prone to anxiety. Some kid passed us on a skateboard and Blacky "exploded" in a cloud of dandruff.

If stress s rooled out, listen to Burpdog (above).

Best wishes,

GoinGrey

My Current Signature

Guest ChasesMum

Chase lost the hair on her thighs and belly, and does grow peach fuzz in the winter but not a lot. She is just bald! lol

If all else fails and nothing helps over time, your vet can run a thyroid panel (ask for the whole panel not just a T4) and see. But try the omega 3's, brushing, time, a good food, etc and see. Chase was diagnosed hypothyroid after a year of trying different things. She wasnt really horribly low but the meds turned everything arouind.

We too use an oatmeal shampoo and a good vigorous drying and she is a happy camper! (also a Zoom Groom brush)

After we got Miles, and it did take some time but can't remember exactly, he went almost bald! I've got pictures of him where his coat is completely see through! When it grew back in it was actually white with red ticking - not the pale fawn they thought he was.

His coat is actually pretty thick for a Grey and it's very soft too! B)