Pulmonic Stenosis

Guest MtnBikerChk

Guest MtnBikerChk

I did a search and I could only find 1 thread from 2004 with the same diagnosis.

Jewell had an EKG yesterday and this is what the vet said she has. Her pulmonary artery is too narrow and her heart is working hard to keep pumping blood through it. He said what all vets say - she could live a normal healthy life and she could never have any symptoms or.......not. She was probably born with it and it's usually found in puppies - not dogs 6 years old.

His suggestion is to wait 6 months or so and take her to Tufts or Angell Memorial to see a cardiologist as a follow up. The usual treatment is angioplasty.

Has anyone been through this? :(

And about how much is this going to cost? :(

I would agree with following up now. Doppler echocardiography can give you an idea as to the severity of the stenosis and therefore a better idea as to how the stenosis will affect her, instead of worrying for six months. The balloon angioplasty does look like the recommended course of action, but only for patients moderately to severely affected. Mildly affected patients can live a perfectly normal life without treatment - just maybe some exercise modifications, as in don't do anything excessively strenuous.

(Source of my info: Blackwell's Five Minute Veterinary Consult - neat little (okay, big) book. I've not had any greys with this diagnosis.)

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest MtnBikerChk
I would agree with following up now. Doppler echocardiography can give you an idea as to the severity of the stenosis and therefore a better idea as to how the stenosis will affect her, instead of worrying for six months. The balloon angioplasty does look like the recommended course of action, but only for patients moderately to severely affected. Mildly affected patients can live a perfectly normal life without treatment - just maybe some exercise modifications, as in don't do anything excessively strenuous.

(Source of my info: Blackwell's Five Minute Veterinary Consult - neat little (okay, big) book. I've not had any greys with this diagnosis.)

Thanks. I did a bunch of googl'ing and I came to the same conclusion. I've got a call in to her vet for the referral.

THanks.