Cardiac Problems In Greyhounds?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hello everyone!

My friend with the greyhound that I posted about in another thread (asking for GT prayers!!) has joined Greytalk today and posted her situation--she would really appreciate any suggestions or support from people here who have had similar problems with their greyhound. She posted it at the end of the pinned thread on Cancer in Greyhounds--being new she is still figuring out how to post to the forum, so I moved it here in the hopes that people can see it and respond. Thanks so much!!!

"I am new to Greytalk. I am blessed with two wonderful greyhounds (both girls). This week my 9 year old suddenly fell sick. One night while I was making their dinner, my Cassidy let out a yelp that scared the heck out of me! Sometimes she can be a bit of a "drama queen" as greyhounds usually are, but this was different. She seemed to have pain in her neck. My vet put her on Tramadol for the pain and Zubrin for the inflamation. That same night after we got home from the vet, Cassidy developed a "turkey neck". The following day, the right side of her face was very swollen. I thought perhaps she had a bad tooth and got an infection from that. Off to the ER we went! Turns out that my girl has fluid in the sack around her heart. Ultra sounds were done and they saw a mass at the base of her heart. We have an appt to see the Cardiologist this week to get an ECK and find out if we have to deal with cancer or something else. The medical diagnosis is as follows: Enlarged Medial Retropharyngeal Lymph Node, Pericardial Effusion, possible right atrial mass, Peritoneal Effusion.

This came on sooo sudden. Cassidy has not shown any symptons of a problem until the pain in the neck then sudden swelling.

I wanted to post our problem to see if anyone else has experienced this. I didn't think greyhounds were prone to heart problems. Obviously I was wrong. If you have any experience or knowledge of our problem, I would be greytful to hear from you.

Thank you for listening."

Guest Winterwish

I have experience with this. Pericardial effusion is a very,very serious diagnosis,as are each one of the others or the rule out diagnosis'.

I do have a couple of questions tho' to try to understand.

Is the greyhound Cassidy at home,or in the hospital?

If this is pericardial effusion,has she been tapped,or had a pericardiocentesis done?

Guest taylorsmom

Cassidy is home from the hospital. I don't think she has had any of the procedures you described, but the vet put her on Lasix. She is seeing a cardiologist next Wednesday, I believe.

Guest Winterwish

Pericardial effusion is really a medical emergency,so I'm leaning toward assuming the greyhound was tapped,it was relieved and she was sent home maybe? Is that her status right now?

Guest taylorsmom

Hmm--I would guess that she was tapped, then--I do think she was kept overnight at the hospital for several days so perhaps they did do the procedure since it is an emergency situation, as you said? I am hoping that my friend is getting some much needed rest right now, but hopefully she will come on the forum tomorrow and answer this herself.

Guest Winterwish
Cassidy is home from the hospital. I don't think she has had any of the procedures you described, but the vet put her on Lasix. She is seeing a cardiologist next Wednesday, I believe.

Is Cassidy symptomatic at this time?

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Winterwish
Hmm--I would guess that she was tapped, then--I do think she was kept overnight at the hospital for several days so perhaps they did do the procedure since it is an emergency situation, as you said? I am hoping that my friend is getting some much needed rest right now, but hopefully she will come on the forum tomorrow and answer this herself.

okay.

:hope

Hi and welcome!

What the cardiac echo seems to indicate may unfortunately be a cardiac tumor, most often a hemangiosarcoma, but could also be fibrosarcoma, lymphoma, or even metastasis from another location.

This article actually shows a photo of a dog with neck swelling due to distension of the jugular vein -- this occurs when the fluid in the pericardial sac (around the heart) becomes restrictive and the heart cannot pump adequately, leading to heart failure. Click for article

This scenario is all too familiar to me. New Years weekend 2001, my first greyhound, Kody, suddenly developed panting, and stopped eating, even his favorite strained baby meat, so I knew there was a major problem. Chest xray at the vet's showed an enlarged pericardiac sac and pericardial effusion (a fluid collection within the sac). The next day, an echocardiogram was done which showed a right atrial tumor and confirmed the effusion.

I discussed with my vet the options available: drain the fluid from the pericardial sac with a needle, knowing it would reaccumulate in short order. Put Kody through surgery to create a pericardial "window", in which an opening is created in the pericardium, which would prevent fluid from reaccumulating, but would not solve the problem of an inevitably enlarging (and fatal) atrial tumor. Because Kody was already very symptomatic (and, as in Cassidy's case, this was a very abrupt occurrence), and had stopped eating, I did not want him to suffer, or become increasingly short of breath, because I needed a few more days with him. He went to the Bridge that day, and I still can't talk or think about it because he was my absolute heart dog.

I wish I did not have to paint such a bleak picture for you, and I so hope to be proven wrong, but from the veterinary literature I've read, and my own experience, Cassidy's condition is very worrisome.

Please keep us posted, and know that you and Cassidy will be in our thoughts....

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Is the vet very experienced?

Altho' I'm not a vet,I'm not really understanding how Lasix can or will address the pericardial effusion. It's a different physiological occurance then for ex.,congestive heart failure.

I'm sorry if I'm incorrect on that,but I'll do my best.

Is Cassidy symptomatic at this time?

Actually Lasix is frequently used in humans for a few reasons: because the way she presented is suggestive of cardiac tamponade, which results in heart failure (usually right-sided when you see jugular venous distension), the lasix may be helpful in relieving the fluid overload. It may also, to some degree, decrease the effusion, especially if it resulted *from* congestive heart failure. And if she has a peritoneal effusion (I'm assuming they mean ascites - fluid in the abdominal cavity), the lasix would be appropriate to try to decrease the fluid.

If they did wind up doing pericardiocentesis, I hope they sent the fluid for cytology (cell analysis) to see if there were any cells suspicious for cancer.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish
Actually Lasix is frequently used in humans for a few reasons: because the way she presented is suggestive of cardiac tamponade, which results in heart failure (usually right-sided when you see jugular venous distension), the lasix may be helpful in relieving the fluid overload. It may also, to some degree, decrease the effusion, especially if it resulted *from* congestive heart failure. And if she has a peritoneal effusion (I'm assuming they mean ascites - fluid in the abdominal cavity), the lasix would be appropriate to try to decrease the fluid...

That's true,but at the time of my post quoted (which I had edited out prior to your post),-- I was concerned about the pup being sent home from the ER on lasix,possibly without a centesis being done to try to lessen the effusion,the effusion being specifically due to a heart tumor,possible hemorrhaging,and,to not see a cardiologist for several days.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Cassidy,and I hope she's more comfortable today.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest taylorsmom

I just returned from visiting with my friends and Cassidy. She is home from the hospital and is all shaved up from the multiple ultrasounds they gave her. But she seems to be more like her old self--she ate some of the special treats I brought over for her (her appetite has not been good since falling ill) and she snuggled with me all evening!! It was great to see her. On Monday she is going to a cardiologist who will do an echocardiogram and other tests to determine the nature of the mass in her heart. We are still praying really hard here--hoping for the best. They did remove a good deal of the fluid from her abdomen and around her heart and she is on Lasix so a lot of the swelling is reduced.

Please keep the GT prayers rolling for this very sweet girl!

Guest LadyChester

Given your location, if Cassidy isn't being seen at University of Penn Vet Hospital, I would certainly try to get in there. They have a phenomenal cardiology program and an overall outstanding, caring vet clinic. They are quite grey knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Sending positive thoughts ...

Guest greymomof2

Cassidy seems to be doing ok this morning. Her appetite is not like it used to be but she is eating and drinking. Going to the bathroom ok. The vet told us to cut back on the Lasix because she was wetting herself in her sleep. Nothing has really changed in the past two days. We can see that she is happy to be back home with us and her sister! Like my friend said in an earlier post, we were able to get an appt tomorrow with a different cardiologist than originally planned -- thank goodness! This doctor was educated at the University of Penn. I will keep you posted with what happens tomorrow. Please keep the prayers coming, we really need them!!!

I lost my 12 year old girl last August to cardiac tamponade secondary to hemangiosarcoma. We were going to bed one night at about midnight and Dagger stood on her bed panting rapidly, I got up and was checking her out and realized she was breathing at about 100 times a minute. Got my stethoscope (I'm a cardiovascular nurse, ironically) and she had very muffled heart sounds with a heart rate well over 200 beats a minute.

Immediately got her in the car and headed for the e-vet. We did an echocardiogram immediately upon arrival and her heart was pumping furiously, but not moving any blood because the pericardial sac was so filled with fluid. We let her go within an hour of onset of symptoms. Unfortunately, in her case, because it was caused by the hemangiosarcoma, the fluid would have continued to reaccumulate and tapping the fluid would only be palliative, but would not have cured her...so we decided to let her go.

Fingers crossed for your pup...

Cathy, Van & Monita (and angels Kimmie and Dagger)

We'll be thinking of you and Cassidy, greymomof2. I hope she has a restful day and night, and will be anxious to hear about your visit to the cardiologist tomorrow. It's so fortunate that you live near great veterinary resources, and that they can see her so quickly.

Hugs to both of you.

Jordan

Guest greymomof2
Pericardial effusion is really a medical emergency,so I'm leaning toward assuming the greyhound was tapped,it was relieved and she was sent home maybe? Is that her status right now?

I can tell you that an Abdominocenteses was performed. I understand that is they withdrew the fluid from Cassie's abdomin. No neoplastic cells were seen. We were not told about any tapping the sac around the heart. Until we see the cardiologist tomorrow morning, they wanted Cassie on the Lasix. We took our girls out for a brief bathroom walk and now Cassie is very tired. It's really weird because that sparkle in her beautiful eyes is not there very much. However, if I come home say from being out, she will greet me at the door, her ears are up and she looks to my eyes like all is normal. Its like her battery looses it charge quickly. I am so worried what they will tell us tomorrow.

Guest greymomof2
We'll be thinking of you and Cassidy, greymomof2. I hope she has a restful day and night, and will be anxious to hear about your visit to the cardiologist tomorrow. It's so fortunate that you live near great veterinary resources, and that they can see her so quickly.

Hugs to both of you.

Jordan

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I am sorry that I did not respond to you sooner but we have been focusing on Cassidy and not much else. We thank you for the article you posted. I printed it out and will take it with us tomorrow to the cardiologist. My heart broke for you when I read about Kody. You can truly relate to our situation. Like you, Cassidy is my heart dog. I have only had her for 4 years and can't imagine life without her. It's crazy how these greys steal your hearts and get deep into your souls. With all of our worries about Cassidy, I am very concerned for my other grey, Katie. We adopted Katie back in 2004, had her for a couple of months, then adopted Cassidy for her. Katie had such bad seperation anxiety that we knew she needed company. I saw Cassidy at an awareness event and knew from the first second I saw her, she was my girl. What precious gifts from God they are!

I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Ellen

Katie & Cassidy's mom

Guest greymomof2
I lost my 12 year old girl last August to cardiac tamponade secondary to hemangiosarcoma. We were going to bed one night at about midnight and Dagger stood on her bed panting rapidly, I got up and was checking her out and realized she was breathing at about 100 times a minute. Got my stethoscope (I'm a cardiovascular nurse, ironically) and she had very muffled heart sounds with a heart rate well over 200 beats a minute.

Immediately got her in the car and headed for the e-vet. We did an echocardiogram immediately upon arrival and her heart was pumping furiously, but not moving any blood because the pericardial sac was so filled with fluid. We let her go within an hour of onset of symptoms. Unfortunately, in her case, because it was caused by the hemangiosarcoma, the fluid would have continued to reaccumulate and tapping the fluid would only be palliative, but would not have cured her...so we decided to let her go.

Fingers crossed for your pup...

Thank you Cathy -- I am so sorry for your loss. At least you have the medical knowledge behind you so you could understand what was happening. I am doing my best with asking tons of questions but I worry that I am not doing enough. I just lost my cat of 20 years on April 22nd and thought his loss was very tough, but this sickness is overwhelming. I continue to pray for a miracle but from what I am reading from other members who have gone through this same mess, its not promising and my miracle may not happen. I continue to pray and hope for good things to come.

Thanks again,

Ellen

Katie & Cassidy's mom

Hi Ellen

You've obviously been doing lots of research, and learning as much as you can about what Cassidy may be facing. But I can share with you that, as a medical professional (I'm a PA), when it came to Kody's symptoms and his diagnosis, I was a blathering fool. As you said, there's so much emotion involved, and helplessness that you can't make them healthy again -- it's very hard to be levelheaded and make objective decisions.

The cardiologist will give you information tomorrow that you will need to decide what path to take, but remember that both Cassidy and you also play a big role in the greater picture. You know her best. You'll look in her eyes and she'll tell you what she wants, and you love her enough to listen.

Jordan

Some veterinary literature, if you wish:

Pericardial effusion

ascites

Prognosis of heart base tumors

PubMed - In the "search" box, enter "pericardial effusion, dog", and you'll see a long list of abstracts.

Edited by houndznigz

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. I know my friend Lisa went through a lot with her lovely Echo who had heart problems. She is on the boards here as Anniesmom (I think that is her ID). She might have some ideas/suggestions for you.

Guest anniesmom

I am so sorry to hear about Cassidy's heart.

As Carron said, my girl Echo developed a severe heart problem when she was a little over 4 1/2 years old. Her condition was "Aortic Stenosis". Summing it up---her left valve was 88% blocked.

She had a fantastic cardiologist here in NH. She took 11 pills/day. The combination of medications she had to take = presriptions of METOPROLOL-PROCAINAMIDE and vitamins = L-Carnatine & Taurine. She was such a wonderful girl at taking her pills.

When 1st diagnosed, her cardiologist thought she would only have 2 months, but with her medications, bi-weekly visits to th cardiologist, Ultrasounds, EKG's and anything else she needed, my girl lived 14 months...unfortunately passing the day before her 6th birthday.

During her sickness, she never acted sick, as long as she didn't over do anything...(and me being the over protective mommy)...

She was always happy and always wanted to play, so although she was sick, she still had a good quality of life.

I did get a lot of knowledge on her specific condition, and took pet CPR in the event it should be needed.

If there is anything at all i can help with, i will try, or i can try to get information off the cardiologist for you.

You can feel free to email me personally if you would like.

You seem to be doing all you can, and going in the right direction...you and Cassidy will be in my thoughts and prayers