Canine Lymphoma

Guest lorbug

Guest lorbug

My grey has been very lethargic lately, with quite a bit of soreness in her neck and back end. For a while she was not eating much and then when she began to eat she would hang her head and walk away from her food bowl, with a whimper....she has also stopped jumping on furniture and playing with her toys...one of her favorite pastimes. The vet and I initially thought it was a spinal issue. She had a MRI done and only a dessicated disc and some slightly swollen lymph nodes where found. Her lymph nodes in her throat and back by her groin are also slightly enlarged, which occurred after the MRI. So, we decided to do an aspirate of her swollen nodes. All three aspirates showed no unusual cells. She is still lethargic though...the vet also put her on doxycycline, in case of some infection. Anyways, I am curious to see if any one has had experiences with their dog getting an aspirate and the accuracy of it. I have her scheduled to get a biopsy of one of her nodes to confirm that she does not have lymphoma...is this necessary???

Thanks lorri

When our Angel LaceyLaine was diagnosed with Lymphoma...they did needle aspirates of her nodes in her neck...groin and backs of her legs. All came back positive for Lymphosarcoma. Dr. Beth said it is not uncommon for the needle aspirates to come back clear and that if hers did...we would need to do an open biopsy to get a diagnosis. She also stopped playing and eating. Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest myjazzy

The needle aspirate can come back negative for lymphoma. To be on the safe side, I would run a full TBD panel and do a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes. If it is a TBD you will know which and be able to get her on the right treatment. If it should be lymphoma, then you will know which type you're dealing with and have the information to decide what to do. Having her on doxycycline in the meantime is a good idea, but be sure it's the appropriate dose to treat TBDs. I don't know exactly what the dose is, someone else on her can probably give that information, but I do know that vets frequently don't give a high enough dosage of doxycycline to effectively treat TBDs.

Hoping that it is not the dreaded C.