Re-occuring Diarhhea

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry had diarhhea again yesterday, but today is on the mend. I didnt give him the antibiotics this time, he recovered on his own, I think if I would not have been giving him daily probiotics these last few months he never would have recovered without antibiotics. Henry is my first dog to keep getting diarhhea from time to time. Is this a greyhound thing? What kind of things cause this? I am gradually switching him over to a lower fat food, still poultry free, but has grains this time. Previous food was Wellness Core Ocean, new one is Solid Gold Holistique Blendz reccomended for seniors and underactive dogs (green bag)

He has terrible seizures when on Flagyll, hence my hestitation to put him on antibiotics. I know the vet would have prescribed an antibiotic not in the Flagyll family this time, but it cant be good for them to need antibiotics on a monthly basis?

Could it be the Potassium Bromide? Should I try a new seizure med? Or perhaps just see what happens with this new food?

Guest EmilyAnne
I'd see what happens on the new food. Any way it's associated with treats?

I did give him a few more treats than usual the day before the diarhhea, but it was not a new treat. I gave him Wellness WellBars With Atlantic Whitefish & Sweet Potato.

Guest charmsmom

When we feed Wellness at the kennel, we spend the whole next day cleaning up. Gives the majority of our greys the big "D".

Guest JillT

Isn't it funny how food really is an individual thing for each dog? Both of mine have relatively sensitive stomachs--have gone through a couple bouts of HGE with each of them, though not recently). They both do really well on Wellness (fish Core for one, the regular Core for the other), but ANYTHING by Solid Gold cases the big D for both of them. It's a great-quality food, just does not agree with them for whatever reason.

Guest mandm

Hve you considered Tylan (Tylosin)? It works like Flagyl but has fewer side effects and can be given long-term. Many dogs stay on it for life.