Looking To Adopt Very Soon In Nc

Guest bobandpolly

Guest ClassicHound

Welcome Bob and Polly,

Wow! There is a ton of valuable information here in this thread. I hope you post pictures of your new hound when you get him or her! :)

Guest bobandpolly

I'm hoping to convince bob of the need for a road trip this weekend to the Kennel after I get back in town.... Hopefully pictures will be on their way some time in july!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I have been amazed over the past few months how many people we meet with Greyhounds..... and we have yet to find anyone that has now or has had in the past a grey that has anything bad to say about the breed. Just one more testament to these amazing critters.

Guest Teufelsmark

I ended up not crating my Pete. We had just a few messes over the first month we had him but nothing major. But Pete isn't a chewer. Also take the advise of barrowing a crate becuase you may not eeven need one. You may want to have some stuffies in case he/she likes that. The greyhound group should point you in the direction of the right collar. Sometimes they have them on hand for a fee. Later on you can get a pretty one. I have a round leash that is braided. We got them from Wal-Mart for about 10 bucks. Everyone at the expo in Massechusettes asked where we got them and we said Wal-Mart. They are very nice leashes. I have one that is 6' and the other is 5'. That so it is easier to walk the two of them together. And you are on the right track by having the Retired Greyhounds for Dummies it is a very good book. Keep it close you will need to refer to it every so often.

:welcome

Greetings from Gainesville, Florida!

You've definitely come to the right place for any hound related questions you might have (or just to have fun oohing and ahhing everyone else's hound pics!). Congratulations on your upcoming new addition!! How exciting!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest GreytfulJack

Welcome! Best of luck on your search for your first grey! Your greyhuond will change your life for the better and you'll wonder how you ever lived without him/her before!

Greytalk is a wonderful place to find help, support and information for anything you may need. Everyone is wonderfully supportive here. Sounds like you're already on the right track.

:welcome2

Guest bobandpolly
Welcome to the world of greyhounds. Sounds like you guys are doing all the right things so you are prepared for the new arrival. I volunteer at Project Racing Home in Randleman, NC, you have lots of choices in North Carolina for finding your forever friend. :colgate

Good Luck, we'll need to see some pictures soon.

Looks like we are headed to the PRH Sunday! :bounce1

Guest charmsmom

My name is Bethany and I'm an Adoption Counselor at PRH as well. I'll be there on Sunday, so I look forward to meeting you. :)

Guest bobandpolly

So I was walking on the beach today and a thought came into my mind of something I haven't seen in the books I've read so far. Are greyhounds swimmers? Logic, physics and physiology leads me to think they would struggle with it since muscle is denser than fat, and the temp might be an issue.

Guest greybookends

GHs can swim if they try, but they have no natural bouancy. If they are not actively trying to swim they will quickly sink to the bottom. A GH should NEVER be left unattended near a depp body of water.

Guest bobandpolly

Went to PRH today and found 2 of the most wonderful boys. It was agonizing to decide between the two.

We finally settled on Mack, :inlove a white and fawn :ig 3 year old. He is very laid back and very loveable. :wub: We took some pictures but I'll have to wait for Bob to resize them before I can post them. Took care of our paperwork and will be heading back in 2 weeks to get him and bring him home!!!!!(this is going to be an agonizing long 2 weeks). He was ready to come home with us today- already vetted, but we aren't quite ready for him yet- we need a crate, and a little more doggie proofing on the house. Also I am leaving town tomorrow for a week, then we are both going to be gone the following weekend, and we didn't want to bring him home only to have to have him away from home again so soon. We also are now certain Bob needs to get back to taking his allergy shots before he comes home since in the 3 hours we were at the kennel he was already quite red and puffy in the face.

Oh we met Charmsmom (Bethany) as well as Charm and a bunch of visiting pups! Bethany- we hit the costco in Durham on our way home and they no longer carry the crates you mentioned.

Pictures to come soon!!!!! Cant wait to get him home.

Guest charmsmom

It was great to meet you guys and I'm sorry Costco was a bust. :( They had them online and might still. Did you at least find the beds?

Charm and Paris were very happy to meet you as well. :)

Guest ishapespace

First, good luck with your upcoming adoption.

Second, we got our crate on ebay, though they seem to be a little pricier than the one we got 2 years ago.

Good luck!

Edited by ishapespace