Hair Re-growth Pattern Seems Odd?

Not sure if this is for medical or not but many, many months ago Mr. Alan fell down and cut open his right hip. We shaved the area so it was easier to keep the wound clean because he is very fuzzy. Well, the hair grew back where I shaved it to the skin but the hair will not grow in the area around where I shaved it, the area that I clipped short but not to the skin...not even sure how to explain it so I have a photo to show.

It actually looks kinda silly, almost as tho we glued a patch of fur back on his hiney :rolleyes:

7926442.jpg

It's obviously not a life threatening situation but it seems so strange to me and I was just curious as to why this would happen? How can I get his hair to look normal in that area again? We always get asked about that "patch" of fur :blush

I'd say if this is all I have worry about right now in life then I am doing pretty darn good ;)

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

My first thought would be scar tissue under there, but that seems like an awful big area. I haven't a clue.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My first thought would be scar tissue under there, but that seems like an awful big area. I haven't a clue.

Yea, one would think it would be normal for a scar to not grow hair back but the hair grew back perfectly fine where the injury was, it's the area around it that won't grow back :unsure

btw...it happened more than 6 months ago!

Maybe we should shave him all the way down over his whole body? Then, with our luck, none of his hair would grow back and he would go from "fuzzy" to "Bald" :blink:

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest LindsaySF

Years ago my aunt had her Chow Chow Stormy groomed. I went to pick her up and I almost died. The groomer had given her a Lion's Mane clip! :eek That means they shave everything but the head, feet, and tail. :lol It took like a year for that shaved hair to come back and be the same color and texture as the rest of her hair.

It didn't look like your pic, but it was short and "different" for a very long time.

That is pretty normal from what I have seen. Mia's hair was shaved almost exactly a year ago (the first week in June) and it has only been in the last week or two that we can ALMOST say we can't see where she was shaved.

Also, when my Cujie had his spleen removed, the hair grew back where the staples were and where the incision line was (so he looked like he had a long stripe with dots on either side of it) but there was still no hair where he had been shaved when he passed.

(off topic...I miss my cujie :( )

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Ummmm.... does he have a butt toupe? :P

My guess is that where you shaved him down to nothing, he's growing in "puppy hair". We've had a few young (under 2) fosters that were really FUZZY. When they grew up a bit later, their hair thinned out to "normal greyhound" hair.

I seriously think you started a new batch of "baby hair". It should thin out eventually. I'm guessing that long hair is REALLY soft too?