Dog Safe And/or Organic Lawns

Guest lauri

Guest lauri

I'm putting this in health because, YES, I believe this is a health question having to do with toxins.

We're reviving our old dead icky lawn so Miles will have a nice comfy area to play in again. We had let it go because gophers took over, chickens dug it up, plus we NEVER have fertilized since we've had the dog because we don't think it's good for him. Even if the manufacturer says it's okay to go out when the stuff is dry there is still residue that will cling to the dog's feet. Then they lick, and Miles IS a licker!

And we've decided that since Miles is a dirt eater, we don't want to 'pellet' for gophers even though the rods you use to apply the stuff go deep into the ground. Just don't trust it. Plus after his stomach bleeding incident...

So we're trying those gopher stakes that make noise. I have talked to folks that they work and folks that they don't work. As far as re-seeding our lawn we ARE using fertilizer, but then again we're not going to let him out into the backyard until the lawn is established - 2 to 3 weeks - enough time I think to let the fertilizer dissolve . Leash walks for him for pottys, and he'll be able to go outside to the patio only.

I see those of you that have pretty nice lawns. What do you use?

Can anyone reccommend an organic or some kind of SAFE lawn fertilizer?

What about weeds?

I have looked into 'clover seeding' which would take care of the fertilizing, and help a bit with the weeds, but if there's anything else I'd LOVE to know.

Thanks!

Find a good local nursery in your area, they always have organic lawn treatment supplies. I've heard that major hardware chains like Lowes are starting to carry organic lawn treatment also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Fertilizer is a low-risk proposition, provided it is delivered without herbicides or pesticides. Mainly it'll be nitrates (ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrate), with smaller amounts of phosphorus and potassium. The nitrates are the biggest risk; they turn people blue (methemoglobinemia, seen mainly in infants in areas where farm runoff gets into the water supply).

Try a water-soluble fertilizer, the sort that attaches to the hose-end, and spray a day or two before you expect it to rain. (This is counter to what one should do- normally you do NOT want it to run off, and this is still the case. The idea is to deliver it to the plants, then the rain washes any residue into the ground.) Or you can use the hose-end fertilizer attachment, and then a few hours or a day later, go over it again with the hose to get all of it into the ground. Again- no herbicides, no pesticides, but all the N-P-K that you want. This method should reduce exposure to near zero for the hound.

Another suggestion would be to top-dress with composted organic mulch. Back in Pennsylvania, we could get "mushroom soil," which is used in coal mines for growing mushrooms, and disposed after a short period of time. It's really very good for the lawn.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest lauri

I was thinking that we could fetilize, keep Miles inside with leash walks until a couple of sprinkler cycles. Just wasn't sure.

The starter fertilizr I have is like small pellets. is THAT okay if we have to water every day and keep him off for a couple of weeks?

Guest Ingear

I had to start a lawn from almost nothing. The key was to looses the soil good and put your starter fertilizer and seed down. I didnt use organic, just Scott's brand. I watered the lawn every day, twice a day for about 2 weeks. During this time the dog was walked on a leash and not allowd to go on the lawn. Now after 2 weeks of watering, that fertilizer is no danger to the dogs. If you want a lawn with the dog make sure you use a good seed like a tall fescue. This is what they use on athletic fields because of its durability.

Guest momofevie

Good for you!

The Rachel Carson Homestead is a fantastic resource (www.rachelcarsonhomestead.org). Down the right hand column of their homepage you'll see "Rachel Carson's Legacy." Click "learn more." The "Smart Choices" link allows you to print out info from the Homestead's Health & the Environment series for info on sustainable living, including "natural gardening."