Indy Ate Scallions On Sunday-big D.. And Now Limping?

Guest ador3

Guest ador3

Hi all,

I need some advice or insight from some other greyhound parents.

We had a bbq on Sunday and Indy stole some corn husks and ate them. Apparently, he also ate some scallions that grow in my backyard. We've had him for 3 months and he's never even looked at them, but I think his appetite got the better of him. He loves to scavenge.

Needless to say, I thought he was just eating the corn husks when I ran over to him, but a friend that was there just told me that he believes he ate some scallions also. I know onions are very toxic so I am assuming the same of scallions.

He has had terrible diarrhea since Sunday. I withheld food on Tuesday and have been feeding him rice with a dollop of fat-free yogurt. Last night and this morning I added @ 1/4-1/2 cup of his food (Innova) to it because I felt bad for him, not getting enough nutrition. But, this morning after he ate he was outside again with the Big D. I also gave him 2 pepto on Tuesday because his stomach was making terrible noises.

And now, as of yesterday afternoon, he has started limping. It was totally spontaneous. He woke up from a nap and wasn't using is rear, right leg. We thought maybe it had fallen asleep so weren't concerned. But, he was hopping around for the rest of the night and the same when he woke up this morning. He won't stand on it at all.

Is it possible these things are related or maybe just coincidental? We've made a vet appointment for this afternoon. Hopefully he's going to be ok.... I am really worried.

:unsure:(

No, eating scallions and limping don't add up. Try pedcid for the tummy and a trip to the vet if after 3 days of no improvement for the limping. Don't give him anything for pain 12 hours prior to going to vet or it will be masked.

We use the 3 day rule here as many other GTers do too.

Hope it is nothing. Don't panic. It's probably a sore muscle.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest longdogs

No link, and probably no link to the tummy problems either. He may have been chewing on them because he had tummy problems.

Guest ador3

Ok, update....

After a pricey Brooklyn vet visit, which included xrays, all is well.

The vet wasn't too worried about the scallions either. She said that if he had been throwing up it would have alarmed her, but since it was just diarrhea she thinks his body is probably just trying to get the corn husks out and anything else that he may have eaten. She gave him some doggy medicine for it. I'm sure we probably could have given him som pepto for a fraction of the cost, but that's ok. We also have him on a diet of rice, boiled hamburger and fat-free yogurt. He hasn't pooped in a day, but let's hope when he does it's a bit more normal.

As for the paw... They took an Xray and thought they saw what looked to be a fracture, but just to be safe they Xray'ed the other foot and discovered it was something that was in both feet and had something to do with the way his growth plates looked. Anyway, they found nothing at all on the Xray's, Thank God!!

She said that from the extremity of his limp though that something must be hurting him pretty badly. So, they wrapped it all up in a soft cast, that stays on for @ 5 days. They also gave us some anti-inflamatory pills for his pain.

All in all everything is good and in the end we're happy that they took both Xrays since it shows hips to toes and there was nothing at all to be found.

:)

Guest ador3

A few pictures of Indy since I just figured out how to post them!!!!

The other greyhound in one of the photos is Mason, he's 10.

Thanks so much for all of your concern and kind words!

821781080603_0_ALB.jpg

985671080603_0_ALB.jpg526481080603_0_ALB.jpg

Edited by ador3

Guest paulamariez

I am so glad to hear that Indy is feeling better. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for a quick and complete healing. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Indy some get well doggie kisses!