Puzzling Tick Panel Results (babesia)

Guest Fasave

You all have me thinking. My guy had a positive titer for babesia of 1:40 when I adopted him 2.5 years ago. He's now 8.5 and having all these weird problems. The issues started over 2 months ago and he's had an annual exam since the symptoms began and given glowing reports with "excellent" blood results. However, in the last two weeks he's been to two vets (regular and partner) and neurologist and an acupuncturist (3 times). Neurologist wants to do an MRI for $2,400, one vet is treating him with flagyl for colitis and the acupuncturist doesn't seem to be making a difference. His major symptom is that he gets "wobbly" in all four legs for 3-5 minutes. It's scary but it's always resolved itself. This morning it happened right before he had a messy bowel movement (yes, nine days on flagyl and no real progress). Does this sound symptomatic? He's eating well, energetic, coat looks great and he's maintaining his weight. Any insights would be appreciated.

I'm eager to hear Gracie's results.

You all have me thinking. My guy had a positive titer for babesia of 1:40 when I adopted him 2.5 years ago. He's now 8.5 and having all these weird problems. The issues started over 2 months ago and he's had an annual exam since the symptoms began and given glowing reports with "excellent" blood results. However, in the last two weeks he's been to two vets (regular and partner) and neurologist and an acupuncturist (3 times). Neurologist wants to do an MRI for $2,400, one vet is treating him with flagyl for colitis and the acupuncturist doesn't seem to be making a difference. His major symptom is that he gets "wobbly" in all four legs for 3-5 minutes. It's scary but it's always resolved itself. This morning it happened right before he had a messy bowel movement (yes, nine days on flagyl and no real progress). Does this sound symptomatic? He's eating well, energetic, coat looks great and he's maintaining his weight. Any insights would be appreciated.

What started first the wobbly legs or the treatment with flagyl?

Guest Fasave

What started first the wobbly legs or the treatment with flagyl?

The wobbly legs. The flagyl started just last week after there was some mucus leaking from his anus. Sorry to be so gross. I panicked and dragged him off to the vet where I went through the whole story of his symptoms again (we had just been at the neurologists two days earlier) and she suspected colitis.

Guest mandm

Weird symptoms often scream TBD.

Two years ago, my then 3 yr old greyhound had a low positive Babesia titer. He also had serious GI problems, vague lameness, lethargy, and minor incontinence. What pushed us into treating him was a drop in platelets over a few months time. Platelets did not reach dangerously low levels, they dropped from greyhound normal to just under greyhound borderline low. We treated and all problems were resolved except for the GI problems. They improved with treatment but did not fully resolve until we found a diet that worked well for him.

I'd retiter and definitely get bloodwork done because you can get those results pretty quickly. Depending on how well he was doing, you may consider a PCR, but those results can take some time to return (2-4 weeks).