Greys And Bird Mites?

Guest BooandCalisMom

Guest BooandCalisMom

I am now totally paranoid as we just evicted a family of sparrows that was living in a bathroom exhaust vent in our house (including 3 eggs - poor things!). The dad bird found out how to get into the vent and invited his whole possee who built a nasty nest of twigs, bark, cigarette butts from the street, you name it!

Anyway, I read that sparrows can carry bird mites and that, if they do carry them, that they can infect pets before people.

Has anyone on here had their dogs infected by bird mites? What were the symptoms? Also, do you think Frontline protects against mites?

Ughhh!

Sparrows are nasty creatures. The cigarette butts have occasionally caused homes to burn down.

Frontline (fipronil) is an acaricide; it is highly effective on mites- probably on bird mites as well. They make a 0.29% fipronil spray for treating fleas; you could use that to hose down the area in which the nest was built.

Don't worry too much. It's unlikely to become a problem.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LynnM

Unless one of your dogs has a compromised immune system, it shouldn't be much of a worry.

Fipronil in one form or another is going to be your best bet.

Traditionally, sulfur dust/flower of sulfur is used for mites and for dusting birdhouses in between occupants. It's available at any good garden center. Bit messy, though.

Guest lauri

Lice is host specific, so I would assume that bird mites will not affect a dog.

Nevermind...I looked it up. I gues they can affect other mammals.

Edited by lauri