Sophie Update

Guest emily

Guest emily

Sophie seemed to get a bit better and then was looking really rough Sunday night so I took her to the vet yesterday. Dr. Beth said her syptoms were consistent with a tick transmitted disease and started her on antibiotics. She is feeling noticably better today which is wonderful. Dr. Beth called with the blood test results this morning and told me that everything looked good (I misunderstood her at first which was heart-stopping for a moment there) but that her white blood cell count was a bit low which again is something to expect with a tick related disease. I have not found any ticks on her but was told it could have easily gone unnoticed and then fallen off. So... if she is not mostly better by Thursday I am to call back. And I will be starting her on tick prevention meds. She never gets fleas or ticks and it is not like we go running through fields or forests (we do our walks through the neighborhood) so I assumed she did not need it. I am very happy to be wrong about that, I was so worried it was something really bad.

Sending prayers for a quick recovery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Glad to hear Sophie is doing better. She may have had a tick borne disease back in her racing days or afterwards, which can lie dormant then resurface. What antibiotic is she on now?

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest paulamariez

Keeping poor Sophie in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending her some healing doggie kisses too!

Guest emily

Thank you everyone. She definately has perked up but is still acting and looking a little rough. She is doing more wheezing than normal (wheezing is something she has always done for the 5 years we have had her) and her 'third eyelid' is showing quite a bit when she is resting on the couch. The vet did not test for TBD because she was pretty sure that is what it was and testing would cost $220 verses the $30 antibiotics she started Sophie on. Sophie is taking Doxycycline 100mg twice a day and we have two weeks worth. I mentioned in an earlier post that this past Saturday marked a year since we lost Sailor so it was a particularly rough weekend with the realization that there was something definately wrong with Sophie. Someone mentioned that a TBD can lie dormant... that is interesting.

Guest vahoundlover

Yes, TBD's can lie dormant. I think *Burpdog* would say 2 weeks isn't long enough on the doxy. There are quite a few threads on here about TBD's, you can do a search and come up with quite a bit of information.

Sending lots of prayers Sophie will be feeling better soon.

This is the tick list, lots of good information.

http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/ticklinks.htm

Edited by vahoundlover