Pain Meds After Tooth Extraction

My greyhound had a dental today, I will be picking her up later today. She had to have one tooth extracted and they mentioned they would send her home with pain meds for it. What meds should this be and what would an avaergae cost be? They already gave me antibiotics to start her on before the dental and continue for 10 days after, it's Clavamox and they charge a ridiculous amount of money.

My non-grey is going in 5/5 for a dental and at least one tooth extraction. They also gave me Clavamox for before the dental and then continue after. They also gave me Previcox - for pain - to start two days before her dental. The 6 previcox pills cost $9.62. I don't know what the clavamox cost - it's always expensive tho. I've never given previcox for pain; certainly hope it helps her. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what everyone recommends for the pain.

--Connie--

Clavamox is expensive. If I'm not mistaken, cephalexin (generic) is usually preferred for dentals, and is far, far cheaper. We often get icky tummy from cephalexin, though, so we make sure to always give intestinal probiotics in conjunction with antibiotice. Give the probiotics about an hour before the meds, though, or the abx will kill the good bacteria, too.

Oh, and, you can get cephalexin at your local pharmacy too. And if you want, Clavamox is the same thing as the human med Augmentin, but the dosages are different. Often, Augmentin is a lot less expensive, though.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

One thing I've noticed is that cephalexin is very, very hard to get into dogs. It is extremely stinky, just stick your nose in the bottle and you'll see what I mean, so therefore impossible to *hide* in anything. Personally I prefer to spend the extra money for Clavamox and not have a battle every time they need a pill.

For pain from extractions, Ruby got Tramadol; my vet charged $10 for 20 pills (50 mg each). They also had her on metronidazole ($5.80 for 14 pills) instead of Clavamox or cephalexin.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.