Here's The Deal With Polli And Her Teeth.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo was the first dog in my vet's practice to get the porphyromonas (?sp) dental vaccine about a year ago. It seemed to keep his gums a little less pink for about five months. We got him a booster at six months but it looks now like another dental is inevitable. He doesn't build up a lot of plaque but his gums are very angry and his breath is gradually getting worse despite brushing and CET additive.

I guess if the vaccine lets you go a full year between dentals in a dog that usually needs them every 6-8 months it is worth it. It is definitely worth asking your vet what he/she thinks of it.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Robin, I just spoke to Dolly at Hound's Tooth in California. I have a bunch of dates for when they'll be coming to NY the beginning of May and sooner. Their prices seem to range from $140-160 for intensive cleanings and treatments. Check out the website, think it over and, if you want to consider them as an option before you go through with Polli's dental at the vet, let me know -- I'll gladly pass on the info!

I know exactly what you mean, but at least you KNOW your vet is competent.

Another idea is a portable water pic. I can't remember which GTer uses it with her senior girl, but they said they had great results. You just have to do it outside because it's gross.

Lucy just had her dental, and I'm going to go pick one up and try it. Her gums have pockets on the outside that always fill up with crud no matter what, so I figure rinsing couldn't hurt.

Diesel also got the vote for 6 month dentals, but that is a no way jose thing as he does very poorly with anesthesia too. Our new vet and I talked about it in great detail, and he also said it was most likely the injectable that was causing the issue, so he would be conservative with that one.

I'm still not ready though, after Sally's spay, Lucy's dental and a round of shots for every one, I'd rather water pic and denta treat for a little while yet.