Managing Slipping And Stumbling

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

Alans' been getting worse with his back legs over the past month. He slips often, stumbles everyday and today spread the rear legs apart trying to walk up three wooden deck steps. He's not a candidate for any type of shots or steroids b/c he has kidney disease (and high blood pressure). I will have DH make a ramp with outdoor carpet glued onto it for Alan to get up the back steps, but are there things out there I don't know of? He was diagnosed with a "neurological deficit" affecting his rear legs by the regular vet and is going to the holistic vet May 10th.

Guest lotsagreys4me

That harness is wonderful. Wish I had known about it when my old guy was having such difficulty with his hind legs. Using the towel method was not good for him or me. I really suggest you get one.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

You may want to check out this harness. I bought one for Alex after his amputation because he was 85 lbs. and too much for me to lift. Sadly, we lost Alex shortly afterwards so I can't tell you how well it works.

harness

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

We did ramps off of our deck and got Angel Sophia a harness. The harness seemed to help but right after we got it she took a huge turn for the worse and went to surgery. Our precious Angel went to the Bridge while in ICU. Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Have you done acupuncture with Alan?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

The harnesses and slings can help a little, but not as I much as I had hoped. Katie's at the point where she's getting a wheelchair/cart to help her. I originally ordered the cart as a 'walker' for her and her physical therapist agreed it would help her walk and build strenght. It's heartbreaking to watch them try to walk and stumble or fall as things progress. Since I ordered it 2 weeks ago, she's taken a turn for the worse and I had to ask them to add stirrups to support her back feet. I'm telling you this, because I so wish I had thought of a cart for her earlier when she was still stumbling but somewhat capable of getting around. So maybe you can be more prepared. There's a 3 week backlog at EddiesWheels.Com (which my PT thinks has the very best design) and they have a special design for greyhounds.

Guest ss556

I appreciate the responses. Alan hasn't had acupuncture, we have an appt. on May 7th with the Holistic Vet who does acupuncture and chiropractic. At that facility, they also have PT there. I am trying my hardest to get in sooner. The Holistic Vet is only there 3 days each week. He has not had xrays either. With his K/D and HBP, he's not a good candidate for anesthesa(?). I can't wait for the appt.