Protecting The Skin Of A White Grey

Guest jupiterooos

Paula, those are nasty little things, aren't they? Our vet told us that she could biopsy them to determine if they were cancerous or not, but we decided it was a moot point considering Comet's heart is too weak to undergo any kind of procedures. He was very lucky to have survived the ordeal from 4 yrs ago in which he sustained the spinal injury (if we didn't live in a town with a college of vet medicine I don't think he would have survived) so we are basically in hospice mode with him, keeping him happy and comfortable, not really knowing...

Yes, they are very nasty. What made it even harder is that Piper had vonWillibrand's so his tumors would bleed and it became very hard to get them to stop bleeding. My poor boy.

Anyone care to field the answer on whether or not we should also be applying sunblock to their little white legs too since they seem to have rather thin fur there as well?!?!????

With Piper, I used the spray sunscreen and sprayed it all over his body and then rubbed it in. I payed close attention to the exposed areas where there was hardly any hair.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest ArtysPeople
Funny thing, the only sunblock I had around was this crappy stuff I got on sale - when I bought it, I didn't realize it had self-tanner in it :rolleyes: So now Angler has lovely bronzed thighs and butt!

:rotfl :rotfl

Dr Couto was asked about the risk for white hounds and skin cancer. His answer is that there is a higher incidence of skin cancer in black hounds.

That's not what I wanted to hear, with Miss Lexie! She will be getting her sunscreen, starting immediately, as it is already sunny and in the 80's here. It only takes a few minutes in the sun for her to feel hot to the touch. Poor girlie hound! (Although she seems to love the warmth...)

I wonder if it might have to do less with genetics than with it being difficult to see sunburns on a dog with dark skin, hence more over-exposure? :dunno

Guest Dillymom

I don't normally have Lola out in the sun for extended amounts of time yet but plan to use sunscreen on her when we do. I have the aerosol spray kind- will that be ok b/c it seems like it would be the easiest to apply...

I wonder if the reason black dogs tend to have a higher occurance might be b/c the owners don't realize they are at risk as well and are less vigilant about applying sunscreen????

Also, the uva and uvb rays reflect back up from the ground so I would think the tummy would need to be well protected. I never even thought about a tshirt. Did you buy a dog shirt or do you use an old shirt of yours?? Sorry if that was a stupid question